1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

bike lift for Dyna's

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tinsin, Aug 31, 2004.

1. tinsin

tinsin New Member

I have a '01 Lowrider which I totally enjoy. The problem is trying to find a floor jack that will fit under the bike. This Craftsman floor jack that I bought won't get under the frame ... it sits too low to the ground in order to get under it. I also had a bike lift from Sams Club but I had the same problem. I've pushed the wheels up on 2 x 10's for more height, but mid point pegs, oil pan guard, and the engine itself (which sits below the frame a bit) is in the way. I know The Company sells frame protectors that allow you to work around said items, but I still can't get the jack to clear the obsticles involved. Any suggestions ?? (other than getting a Road King ! )
    Thanks, Tony
  2. MODCOBRA

MODCOBRA New Member

same problem

I have the same issue with my 04 dresser. I have the Sears unit also. I just hold mine straight up with my right hand and push the jack under with the left. Will your jack go under with the bike setting straight up?? Just a thought....

Ben
  3. tinsin

tinsin New Member

bike lift for Dyna

The lift will barely make it under the frame with it being held upright. Only problem is that every parts mag that I see that sells lifts all recommend that you buy a Dyna frame kit which is nothing more than plastic runners that help support the frame. With those in place I would definitely not have any room under the frame for the lift. Those are about an inch thick .... something more to take away all the clearence that I need. thanks.
  4. MODCOBRA

MODCOBRA New Member

5. tinsin

tinsin New Member

lift for Dyna

Thanks MOD .... had the materials for that one .... it's old school and it works well. Just wanted something to pick the whole bike up. That's a good web site too ... lots of 'how to's ' . Very informative.
  6. MODCOBRA

MODCOBRA New Member

Your welcome...I thought maybe you could use that to get it high enough to get the whole lift under ur dyna.....I think I am going to make me one, lol

Ben
  7. usahellas

usahellas New Member

small jacks

Here in YURP they sell small "jacks" at stores such as Louis, Polo and so on. No freeging idea who these shops would be in the US but maybe CD has something. I buddy of mine had a Dyna and used this for his. I am trying try attach a pic of the thing so I hope this works. Even if it is not that which you are truly looking for it might get the bike high enough to get it onto your jack.

What the heck.

Lee

Attached Files:

• jack.JPG
      jack.JPG
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
  8. MODCOBRA

MODCOBRA New Member

My local Harley dealer sells those...they are very nice...however,,,,,,,

They usually have to be put where they will interfer with the main lift jack. :(

They are rather wide..

Ben
  9. joejoe

joejoe New Member

What about a Dyna FXD?

I have an '01 Dyna FXD and the Harley web site says that their lift needs special adapters for Dyna's so that a lift will clear the oil tank. Will this lift be a problem on my Dyna?
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Same problem with my heritage and the sams/sears lifts, there are lifts out there that are lower.

I use a Home Depot lift assist kit, works great and was very inexpensive to purchase, basically a 3 foot long 2X4 :D
  11. tinsin

tinsin New Member

bike lift for Dyna

I purchased the adapters for the Dyna frame from HD. All that did was take away more room needed to get under the frame. Most lifts, when lowered all the way are about 5" in height. Someone wrote a thread and mentioned a place called Harbor Freight. They have a lift on their web site that is 4.5" in height when lowered all the way and only costs $70.00 .... free shipping. It doesn't have the brace in between the lift pads like the Craftsman had and is a bit lower. I sold the Craftsman lift to a bud of mine who has a dresser and even he had to drive his front wheel up on a one inch board to get it under his frame ! I'm going to have to ride it up on a couple of boards to add height and support the kick stand with the same and go from there. I'm ordering the Harbor Freight lift Friday. A guy down the street from me has the HD lift ($$) and does not appear to be any lower than some that I've seen elsewhere . He has an Ultra. Hope that helps.
  12. joejoe

joejoe New Member

Tinsin
    with the 4.5" height of the lift and the few inches for the HD Dyna adapters do you think it will end up fitting under the bike? I haven't measured yet but I suppose I should see how much clearance I actually have under my Dyna. Please let us know if yours works out and if it does I'll order one of those lifts from Harbor Freight right away.
    Thanks.
  13. tinsin

tinsin New Member

bike lift for Dyna

Joejoe, as soon as I can I'll let ya know.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

www,harborfreight.com I think is the site and they have stores/outlets around the country so you might be able to find one near you.

IMHO they sell usually chinese cheapo parts, not bad in some cases but not always top quality if you know what I mean. I bought a compressor for the home garage, it's not a top dog unit but it will blow up tires and run the air guns etc.
  15. tinsin

tinsin New Member

bike lift for Dyna

OK gang .... good news. Got my bike lift (ATV lift) from Harbor Freight .... rolled the bike up on some 2 X 8's ... slid the Dyna frame adapters on my bike ... and lifted it off the ground !! The Harbor Freight lift is a bit lower than the others I've used and gives me just enough room to slide it under the frame. For $78.98 w/shipping you can't go wrong with this one. Is a bit nicer than the Craftsman that I had before. Good luck to all you had the same problem.