1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bike Stand or Lift

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 6, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have the need for a bike stand or lift but I do not have a big fancy air compressor. What is out there that I can use that will work well to have my bike up on and stable so I can work on it if needed???
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

3. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

I had problems getting my wife's 883 Hugger up on my jack, the frame is too narrow. Had to get creative and tie it down real good. I think a lift table would've worked better. A hydraulically operated one with a foot pedal might be the ticket - no air needed.
  4. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

I've got a Harbor Freight lift table. Like it so much I bought one for each of my kids. Keep an eye on their specials. I got mine for $279. Not as fancy as the $1200 American made models but it works great for me. Lasted longer than the engine I originally bought it to install. I have 5 bikes, 3 quads, an Outlaw kart, and a riding mower, so it's seen lots of use. I try not to buy Chinese tools but couldn't pass on the price. k

1000 Lb. Capacity Motorcycle Lift
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

My on-special at Kragen lift cost $64 a few years ago, and I've used it for all my bikes and ATVs. And Abby used it for her Softail, if I remember right. Bottom line: the cheap lifts actually do work, if your brain does, too.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have harbor freight also.....had many a bike on them...a few members on this board have been on my lift....no problems. foot operated so no compressor.....check their on line site.........
  7. JohnnyBiker

I know what you mean. I hd my bike fall off the jack once. It leaked down on me when I wasn't around.:rant:
  8. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I usually do not like chinese stuff either, but I guess it does depend on if I need it for reliability or heavy duty use. Heavy duty use means USA! I am going to check out their site to see what I can find. Thanks. :cool:
  9. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

Not too worried about if it's heavy enough. Holds my EG w/o problem. I'm more thinking about how long the ram/pump will last before it starts leaking. Or the wheels screw up. Been about 4 years though. Also the shipping might kill you if you don't have a store where you can just go pick it up. Although you can probably add a couple hun to the American ones for shipping too. Also, I think a 'deal' is more likely in the store than on line. k
  10. JohnnyBiker

Do these tables have spots for tie downs??
  11. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

Yes. Primitive, but that is good as far as I'm concerned. U-bolts. About 2.5". 2 sets of holes on each side. I drilled another set toward the rear. Comes with 2 but pretty easy/cheap to add whatever you need with parts from your local hardware store.
  12. FLHTbiker

Hmm, you didn't set it on the stops????
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well not having a compressor eliminates several options such as Handy and Titan, both USA made quality lifts.

The HF will work, it's IMO useable but the materials used to make it
    are chinese and typically it's the least amount of material needed to make
    the bare minimum to perform. Not knocking anyone that has one, but
    if you go and put a Titan or Handy next to it you know the difference, when you feel
    it and pay for it.. LOL

Kendon makes a good lift, you can get air or manual and it will lift a bagger easy.

it also folds up and stands on end in the corner of your garage, so it won't take
    the whole garage up like the others.

Kendon Stand-Up Lifts

I have one, it's been pretty good for 5 or 6 years even though it's narrow up top
    and you wonder if it will stay up, it's never been a problem, the base is as wide or
    wider than the Handy, so it's not a problem..
  14. JohnnyBiker

Couldn't find a price guide for these Kendons?
  15. FLHTbiker

Have several friends that use the harbor freight lift table for several years and they have not had an issue with them. One had bought a kendon and did not like it, to hard to ride up on and then get off. He returned it and purchased a harbor freight lift like Chuck has. I would have purchased one myself if not for the wifes trike. Mine is over kill for a two wheel bike, but great for a trike.
  16. KDiddy707

KDiddy707 New Member

What do you use for the trike ? I just got a sidecar. Hope to build a custom trike before I
    die too.
  17. FLHTbiker

Wife has a Ultra Classic Trike with a Champion side car Trike kit installed on it. Here is the lift. Warning it is very heavy, you don't move it around easily.
    AL-1500M Hi-Rise Motorcycle Lift with Side Extensions
  18. JohnnyBiker

19. FLHTbiker

That lift of mine would be over kill for you.

As for an air compressor I would not choose either one. Get one that has a larger tank and bigger compressor. Check out places even like Home Depot.
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

The Kendons are about $600 or so call Phil at www.harleypartscheap.com

Or you ca try a pit bull lift. USA made good quality works well gets bike up high
    doesn't take up a ton of room, you can roll it under the bike and jack it up
    right off the side stand and put it down the same way, less effort
    less hands on the bike, wider stance etc.

http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

They are always at daytona, sell a lot of them.
    Watch the video...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011