1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bike trailer for a car

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I'm trying to figure out how to get my bike out to Colorado. Someone recommended a trailer for the car. He seemed to think it would cost as much as it would cost me to ship the bike and then I'd have the trailer in case I break down. I hate the thought of even owning a trailer, but it would solve that problem.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

abby i don't own A trailer but if i need one I borrow my bro-in-laws he has a enclosed trailer you can haul you bike & a whole lot of you house hold goods as well , his back door is the ramp so you can ride in & lock it down then pack around it i had to use it two yrs ago to haul my bike across two states in a hurry like 1 k miles over night just my 2 cts
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

U-Haul rents bike trailers also....just a thought.
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Can you pull any bike trailer with a car? I'm talking about a Toyota Corolla, not an SUV.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

abby, i would check at a uhaul place. they are supposed to know what cars can pull what trailers. you may need to purchase a hitch, or even be able to rent one. good luck.:)
  6. AFNurse

I know U-Haul does not rent hitches......they will sell you one and install it tho!! They will know if your car will pull that trailer....also, look in your owners manual...there should be something on pulling a trailer.....tongue weight, total weight etc.......
  7. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Great idea.

Can I change my avatar now?
  8. chucktx

9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Whew, that's better.

My car can tow 1500 pounds. I can probably pull it off.
  10. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

With using your car the thing to be most concerned with is your brakes. Be sure to leave plenty of following distance, but I am sure you know that just from riding anyway. Good luck with all this.

BTW Cute AVATAR, much better than that chuck thing LOL.
  11. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

1500 lbs. isn't a whole lot. Especially if your bike is already 700 lbs or so. That leaves the rest for the weight of the trailer. Typical enclosed trailers I've seen already weigh around 1100 lbs themselves. They do have compact ones but I think they are a little pricey. Is an open trailer an option? That would save a lot of weight.

I know that Uhaul will not rent a hitch. I tried it once. You have to have a permanently installed hitch, which they will sell to you. They will also not rent a trailer to you if your car is not rated to haul it. So they would be a good resource.
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I already figured that an open trailer is the only way it's going to happen. It can't get any more road grime than it would get if I was riding it. I've found one that tilts and even folds up for storage for about $700, which is about what it would cost to ship it out, although I'm not sure how much more gas it would use. Then I have to store the trailer.

When I checked with U-Haul, they only rent the trailers for local use.

I still have to pass the f%^&ing background check. Going on 6 days now. My patience is wearing thin.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  13. SK

SK New Member

I have a Kendon motorcycle open trailer with two rails to hold two bikes. It's fairly light-weight with tenson spring suspension. I only lose about 2-3 mpg pulling one bike, but I have a V8 in my truck. The trailer stands up to save space when storing.

You can wrap parts of your bike in Saran Wrap to keep grime and bugs off.
  14. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I looked at that brand. It's quite a bit more expensive than some. Do you like it?
  15. AFNurse

There are a couple trailers that I REALLY like..... would work well for you due to weight, but will cost a bit..... Trailer In A Bag - Motorcycle Trailers - ATV Trailers and Motorcycle Trailers & Motorcycle Trailer Products at Discount-Trailers.Com and Port-A-Chopper Motorcycle trailers collapsible portable trailer transporter foldup cycle trailer These all give you some options...unfortinately, they are all just a bit spendy also.... I really like the one that gives the option of an add on kit to make a 4x8 foot flat bed trailer in addition to a bike trailer!!!
  16. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

check out this link ab............

THE BIKE HAULER

i myself have been thinking about buying one of these, i even disussed it with chuck, and he said they work great, but tend to lean when making turns, but that was the only down side, after all it is strapped down pretty good.
    anyway, wanted to give you a different take on how to haul your bike......i know the "TOY" could pull your bike with ease this way.........

TRG
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I saw something like that when I Googled and it looked scary to me. But you or Chuck actually know someone who has had experience with this?
  18. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

That bike hauler just scares me. Obviously they sell them, but people sell airplanes too and I won't get on them either LOL.

Their diclaimer worries me as well:
    Not Responsible for damages or misused or improper use of this device.

Doesn't say damages resulting from, it says simply damages :rolleyes: .

The other issue I would have with it is the wear on the rear tire, going that far it could take a pretty big toll on the tire. Then again I am a very pessimistic person LOL. I just hate too many choices, how about you folks LOL.
  19. chucktx

i have a friend that has one of these. i followed him for about 300 miles and it towed great. the bike will lean in the oppisite direction of the turn, but straightens back up when the turn is complete. it was "different" at first, but once i got used to seeing the lean, all was good. he was towing a heratige soft tail, loaded...big hard bags, ect. it never loosened up during the trip, all straps stayed tight.
  20. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

That's cool Chuck. Do you lock the bars or leave them unlocked when using this thing? The one they pictured looked like the bars were straight.