1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Black exhaust paint

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by swampdragon, May 27, 2008.

1. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

What paint does Harley use on their black mufflers? Is there something better or is it about as good as it gets.

I have some factory black painted Screaming Eagle2 mufflers that need touching up.

Any suggestion?
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

They use SERMETEL 842 BLACK TOPCOAT SEALANT on some of the exhaust
    parts we have been involved with Harley on. It is a black top coat that is designed to take 1000 deg. temperature.It is sold by a company called
    Sermatech International
    159 South Limerick Road
    Royersford ,Pa 195468
    ph 610-474-1150

I do not know if you can buy touch paint from them.This is what is used on some of the black exhaust parts on a v rod.
  3. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Wow. Good info.
    I'd be painted the whole thing. Is this a rattle can?
  4. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Been Tempted To Try Some Of That High Temp Bbq Black Rattle Can A Try On Mine.
  5. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

thats what I use on my black thunderheader that I bought at a swapmeet for 40 bucks. its not necessary but every time I take off the pipe I put another coat on.
  6. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Are your pipes already black...or are you talking about painting something that was chromed? Mine have never been chromed. They were black from the factory.
  7. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Chrome, Metal Is Metal, Paint Is Paint. Should Hold Out Fine If The Temp Rateing On The Paint Is Right, And Proper Prep Work Is Done To The Pipes.
  8. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

Is sand blasting chrome stuff first better than just sanding by hand, or does it matter?
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

either way will work, you just need to get some "tooth" in the metal for the paint to stick to.........................:)
  10. swampdragon

swampdragon New Member

I already have factory black screaming eagle2 mufflers. I may have to paint my chrome pipes black to match if I never find the original OEM black pipes...which I still haven't.
  11. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

Well If I Had A Choice, I Would Sand Blast, But Then It Would Be A Litttle Over Kill, Why Take The Time To Remove Perfectly Good Chrome, Could Prob. Get Away With Just Take'n A Scotch Brite Pad To It. Blasting It Would Prob Take It All Back Down To The Bare Metal. Then You Would Prob Have To Put On A Million Coats To Get A Smooth Coat, Or Sanding The Pipes Anyway.