1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Blew a gasket

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I took an impromptu ride to Nebraska and Wyoming today. When I stopped in Wyoming, I was sitting on a curb drinking a cup of coffee and noticed oil sprayed all over my lower leg. I've been having some issues with my lower front rocker box gasket for a while. Sure enough, oil all over the place.

My question: should I replace all the rocker box gaskets? Upper, lower, front and back? Or is that unnecessary if they aren't leaking?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

how many miles since ya had your engine done??? maybe some of the bolts loosened. i would just change what is leaking..........have fun!!!!!
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

It was when they did the 95" upgrade, about 20,000 miles ago. The original ones never leaked. This one started leaking last year, and it was 2 weeks after the one year warranty on engine work. Despite the fact that between all the work I had done when I first moved here ($5,500) and with the wreck ($8,100), they wouldn't fix it because it was over a year. I reminded them that they had the bike for 2 freaking months after the wreck, but no deal. :cussing:

I've been meaning to get to it, but the barn I keep it in isn't good for much other than an oil change. I have a friend who's loaning me his garage. This whole 50 dates thing has come in handy. I have a boatload of people I can call when I need help now.:D
  4. chucktx

just remember........im in the life boat!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol
  5. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Of course! ;)
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Hot01 when I first read the title I though you got mad a one of the 50 dates:roflmao: just do as chuck said & you'll be fine & back up & running in know time :D
  7. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

Always a good idea after a build to re-check the torque on anything that did not get loc-tite!
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Hot01 - Another good reason to always carry a big wad of chewing gum when yer on the road.:roflmao:
    Get er fixed fast gal - it's riding time. lol
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Not that difficult to do,
    Lift the tank (remove bolts slide a board under the tunnel and lift the tank don't have to take off the cross over either..

however doing so makes it a lot easier...

It's all allen bolts, some 1/2 bolts, just need the whole gasket kit, I would check to
    see if it's leaking from the cover or the base, only two places on a TC rocker.

If it's the cover it's a simple 6 allens out and new gasket. Or just check that the ones in there now are tight.

If it's the base then it's a bit more work.

Are you sure it's not the breather bolt spraying oil?

Oil has a funny way of flying around and making you think the problem is where it isn't

Remove the top
  10. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

No, it's not the breather. I had that issue before the 95" upgrade, but they changed the breather and it hasn't been an issue since. They've been leaking slightly, top and bottom, for a while. I just had a lot going on last year and ignored it. When it's blowing all over your leg, it's a little harder to ignore.

It's at a friend's house right now while I'm working. I'm totally blown away by this. He's a friend of a friend, and we're friends on Facebook, but I'd never met him until today. When I posted about it, he asked if there was anything he could do to help, so I asked if I could use his garage. He offered to do the job, steered me to an independent shop for gaskets, and even gave me a ride back home from his house this morning. It should be done today. I got gaskets for both top and bottom and front and back. The tops aren't leaking badly, but might as well fix them. I was only going to do the one, but when my friend had me take some pictures, I realized they were leaking everywhere.

The first picture was after it was cleaned up a little.

Attached Files:

11. chucktx

good call on doing them all..........the pics are a bit different from what i thought your problem was......have fun......carefull of the fingernails.......dont break one!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  12. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

They're working on it right now. Might be ready to ride first thing in the morning. You don't get service like that when you pay!

Check out the pics on my Facebook page. They're sending them to me as they go along.
  13. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I too think that it is a good call that you are going to do them all. I have I have had situations with my car to where I thought that it is was only one thing and it turned out to be another as well. since you have it apart, might as well as do it all so you do not miss any riding time.
  14. whacker

whacker Active Member

I just hate to oil on my bike...Hope they fix all your leaks Hot01....getting to be ridding time here and almost got my bike done....
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

excellent that's what friends are for...
  16. chucktx

:cheers::chopper:
  17. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

where in WY were ya sitting on the curb?
  18. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was actually in Kimball. Nebraska at the diner/motel/gas station on the north side of I-80. I stopped in Cheyenne at the Exxon just south of I-80 on US85 to check my oil. I live closer to Cheyenne than Denver now. Look for Gill, Colorado on Google Maps. I'm not right in Gill, but that's my mailing address. I'm actually a couple of miles north in the middle of a bunch of crop circles.

Hey, maybe you can hook me up with some dates, Ironhorse. :D
  19. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Oh yeah, I got the bike back last night. It's running great. When someone tried to install my throttle return cable last year, he apparently didn't do a very good job. It seems like the idle is a little higher now, which is much preferable to constant stalling if the bike hasn't been ridden 100 miles (not the same issue as the throttle return, but they fixed it all). They said all kinds of nice things about my bike too. :p The way to a girl's heart... :roflmao:

It's nice to have someone recognize how much I've put into it. Most people don't have a clue.
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya good friends indeed , glad your up & running again , ride safe :cool: