1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bloody Chicago

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Painter55, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

Yet another story in the Chicago papers today about a Crotch Rocket "Suicycle" death. This time the guy was blazing down Lakeshore drive in the middle of the night at mach 2 and hit the curb, went airbourn, hit a light pole, and now lies in the coroners office dead dead dead. 14 motorcycle deaths in Chicago since August 31! Blood runs on the streets of Chicago, and nationwide cylce related deaths are up up up.

The lead story in the Chicago Tribune blames fast Japanese Bikes combined with youth and poor roads for the death increases. Whatever the cause, motorcycles are getting a bad rep really fast here in Chicago.

We like it LOUD AND PROUD on a Harley. We want max TQ and HP and Decibels. The 'average person' thinks I'm a Hells Angel or worse, what with all the black leather and tattoos! Actually, we all know that GRIME and CRIME are not parts on a Harley. I take a shower twice a day, have never been arrested, and I have two B.S, degrees--hardly an 'outlaw biker' in reality. I am a CPA in 'real life'--how sedate can that be! We on Harley's have to suffer enough negative image stuff without adding to the mix with 'speed-demon-itis'.

Now get this: I got pulled over on Sunday for speeding 58 in a 45 while leaving the hottest biker hang-out going around Chicago. I was blasting the new Pro Pipe of course.... showing off like a stupid sh*t. Topping out third gear is where the radar hit me... good thing it wasn't fourth gear. Anyway: $105 and driving school for me.

Maybe the ticket I got was a good thing. I should heed my own advice: GO SLOW. LOOK COOL. And not get killed any time soon, too.

Yo, down the road,
    Painter

[​IMG]
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Well Painter, you do look "imposing" on that beautiful ride you have. Don't see much for the "terror indicating Colors" tho??!! :rolleyes: Too bad that your area is having such a flux of negitive bike publicity. I also was young with a "fast bike", but I attempted to tempor that with some caution.....and have lived to tell about it! Sometimes with the "GO SLOW, LOOK COOL" attitude, in order to "look cool" must sound cool also.....and what better way then under HEAVY ACCELERATION..:cool: ...opps, when the radar is in the area, you pay the price.:eek: ..... Good luck at driving school!:D
  3. Pariah

Pariah New Member

Yo Painter; Just up North of you in the Milwaukee area. Ya, the crotch rocketeers are giving us all a bad name; although how they can compare someone on a bright yellow Kawahondasukizan wearing cutoff shorts, sandles, no shirt and a color co-ordinated full face helmet with a leather clad H-D pilot I will never figure out! I have those idiots passing me on the freeway, I'm doing 80 and these dopes go by at 140, weaving in and out of traffic and doing other idiot things. it's a miracle more of them aren't splattered all over the roads.
  4. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

fast bikes don't kill people..stupid riders do

This is getting to be like '86 all over again, next thing you know there'll be a black list on superbikes ....again. My ST2 is more stable and responsive and safer at 120 than my E-G is at 90. I've seen some really stupid riders on sportbikes..flip flops, tank tops Arai's ....tires bald from burnouts but the nubs still on the sdes and a two inch chicken strip...and then there's Sturgis with it's own brand of rider complete with rules for squidly behavior. I don't want to belabor the topic but it goes well beyond the type of bike. It's too easy to get a licence in many area. The one bad thing about modern sportbikes is that they are so good at what they do they give the rider a false sense of security and you know where that can go. I hope it all gets sorted out before my insurance come due. I've been quick in my day and have been lucky enough to not have too many broken bones
  5. usahellas

usahellas New Member

It is not the bike, or??

Harley Riders have to live with the image of being dirty 1%er MC bikers. Harley has tried to pull itself out of this image but for whatever reason mainstreem is not buying it.

Crotch Rocket riders are young, dumb and full of (stop, OK, OK I get the point) :D At least that is the way I was when I bought mine. Thank god I lived through that part of my life. I crashed my Kawi twice. Once on a dark wet road and once with a little help from a cage bumping my back tire on a on-ramp to the German interstate. I basically knocked my wife off the back and then kicked the bike away. Bike stopped right before the right hand lane of the interstate I stopped in the right hand lane. Heard screaching tires looked up saw a bumper about 3 inches from my head and passed out. Next thing I knew my wife was trying to wake me up. Still laying on the interstate. Wow, I am alive to tell about that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not really think that it is the bike. My Kawasaki is not repsonsible that some idiot did a hit and run on me or that I was so stupid to run up and down the German Autobahn with speeds up to 145MPH.

IMHO this boils down to driver education and or lack of it. Maybe there should be some sort of special training and or class that you need to take before getting your motorcycle license. Kind of like the anti-drug commerical comparing the egg to your brain and the frying pan. This is your body, then show some hamburger, this is your body after trying to be one of the Biker Boyz. :confused:
  6. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

It's the Rider not the Bike

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Bikes don't kill riders, riders kill themselves. The logic is simple.

As far Rider Training: I'm all for it. HD has it's Rider's Edge for a price. I would suggest they give it away to HD owners, so we HOGS don't inadvertantly add to the negative image. But don't ask me to get rid of my leather. I like the smell. The tattoos stay, too.

After paying The Man for my bout of speed-demon-itis, I promise to GO SLOW AND LOOK COOL. And why not? Who's in a hurry to end a ride on their machine? Not me.

Yo, down the road,

Painter
  7. CD

CD Guest

Wristwistitis is a difficult thing to control for an old hot rodder like me. Lead foot syndrome is real bad in our Mach1 as it is fun to shock the crap out of some of these pocket rocket cars. Better make sure the traction control is on when you drop the hammer or you won't be going anywhre fast...literally as you will be sitting in a cloud of tire smoke. Smells good though.

You would think at 52 I would be slowing down some....NOT!

This years Bike Talk ride reminded me of why I love to ride. You can be aggressive but still be safe or hang it out and not endanger anyone but yourself.

There are many reasons why we ride. The wind, the scenery, the way you become one with the road anticipating turns, reading the road without conscious thought and the stress relief a long ride gives. Adrenaline rush is another reason a lot of us ride whether it is realized or not. The narrow escape from an accident, the quick blast from a stop light, the challenge of taking a series of turns smoothly and as fast as you feel safe doing so all feed us adrenaline.

Goose and Bob know where I am coming from. Sitting on the line at a Drag strip or at the MX track the rush was and is incredible and I admit I am an adrenaline junky....:D

Cruising is cool and certainly can wipe out a ton of stress and you get more time to smell the wind. What I am saying is that it is all good. Ride hard in a safe place if you wish, respect others but stay within your boundaries. Like I said in Bike Talk I realized I was pushing it pretty hard with no skid lid and maybe I should start wearing one when I intend to get aggressive. The canyon walls were pretty solid even for my skull.:eek:
  8. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Story time!

For those of you that still have that streak of speed demon still left in your system, should check out this page!

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040922/D858M7MG0.html

Quite a story!! Painter, you don't have any problems with your slight "brush" with Mr. Lawman!! :D
  9. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

AfNurse beat me to the punch about the 205 mph speeding ticket. I almost choked my chicken lunch when I read that story in the paper today! :eek: Give the guy a medal or something. Guinness Book should be notified.

CD got it right about the best reasons to ride fast. :)

Painter
  10. Seahag

Seahag New Member

That kid is a RETARD! I've ridden on Us Hwy 61 on that same stretch of road many times and the traffic is alway fairly heavy...He's lucky he didn't ram himself up someone exhaust pipe. Its a major trucking corridor, commuter highway to the twin cities, and because of the bluff area and Mississippi river a tourist road to boot. I don't have a problem with rocket rider (solo) seeing how fast they can go...buy be smart and pick one of the many county black tops that have little traffic and run straight as an arrow for miles. And the kid was driving without a motorcycle endorsement...which shows he's even more irresponsible. Its not like they charge a lot of money to get licensed. Up here in Minnesota you take a written test and when you feel ready for the obstacle course you sign up and take your test. Knock down too many cones and your out. I hope the judge makes him walk for atleast 2yrs.
  11. usahellas

usahellas New Member

Mean

Hey painter, I had forgot to say "NICE BIKE". Like the tat as well. After looking at the pic I would have never guessed that you are a CPA. :rolleyes: Maybe a CPA for the Angles. ;) OK, OK Just kidding, not trying to offend any one here. :cool:
  12. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I can relate to guys who wanna go fast. I'm gettin' old..wear bifocals..reflexs ain't worth crap and I'm nowhere's near the rider that I was a couple of decades ago.....but............sometimes, you just gotta go for what you know..and when it's working for you and you're hitting your marks..it's magic, it doesn't get any better.
  13. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

USAHELLAS:

No offense taken! Thanks for the compliment, actually.

My grandfather was a tattoo artist, so I was influenced early on. I recently had all my tats re-done at a great shop here in Chicago called Jade Dragon.

I used to be a funeral director before we sold off the funeral homes ten years ago. The CPA thing is a good way to make a living. Lots of time off compared to the 24/7 of the funeral business. In fact, I'm outta here on Saturday in a minute for a run down to Kankakee. A destination is simpy a place to turn around. I 'might' go over the speed limit in short controlled bursts of wild-ass-can't-help-it pleasure!

SLEEPY: I have no-line bifocals. Only my optimologist knows for sure! And I hide my glasses behind a pair of sunglass goggles. Giggles.

Yo, down the road,

Painter
  14. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

205mph impossible?

Who can forget the incredible story of the Minnesotan clocked at 205mph! A follow-up story in the Chicago Sun-Times proves our disbelief. Apparently, hardly anyone in Biker World believes Our Hero actually went that fast. Yet, the Cops still tenaciously hang on to the 'accuracy' of thier accusation.

Take this bike to the track, and I bet on the cops being wrong. Could a turbo or nitrous set-up achieve +200? The pros on the Salt Flats can barely do it.

Yo, down the road (at the legally posted speed limit-- all weekend, too! All 350 mile of it. I swear.... :eek: )

Painter
  15. coldtoe

coldtoe New Member

one thing's sure...

I don't know if that kid was doing 205 or 185, or what. He was dern sure going fast whatever he was doing. Like my ol' Daddy used to say...
    Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. When that dude hits the grave, it won't be because of rust!!
  16. Painter55

Painter55 New Member

Yet Again....

Yet another cylce crash yesterday in Chicago. One more dead. Ten dead so far this month.

This time the guy was on a yellow Honda speeding through heavy expressway traffic when someone in front of him slammed on brakes. He obviously didn't use the Two Second Rule. The victim was his female passenger.

"Alas, my brother"

Painter
  17. Pariah

Pariah New Member

Sorry to hear that one.
    When a rider kills himself doing something totally stupid I consider it Darwin in action. When the rider kills someone else doing something totally stupid I consider it Manslaughter (at best).
  18. SK

SK New Member

Just got back from St. Vibrations in Reno this past weekend. Seems some guy on a Harley was going too fast down the hill from Virginia City towards Reno (fairly twisty piece of road) when he missed a turn and launched himself off the mountainside last Saturday. I believe he was killed almost instantly..just glad he didn't have a passenger. Blocked the highway for close to 2 hours down to Reno. I don't think it matters the make..it's all upstairs in the head when it comes to being stupid.

While I rode back to Las Vegas at a good pace on Sunday..430 miles in 6.5 hours..my FJR feels like 60 when I'm cruising at 90 mph. You have to pick your spots though, and on US95 there are long straight stretches where 90 is nothing. Anywhere near a town or more congested traffic I just stick to the flow of traffic everyone else is doing.

As far as the guy in MN..many riders have tried to break the 200 mph barrier with a slew of modifications. I don't believe he was going that fast. But even though the bike can probably top out in the 180s or so..it's insane on a public road. I hope they take his license for a while.
  19. Goose

Goose New Member

Well, I'm 51 years old and still riding sportbikes, er "crotch rockets" if you prefer. I've been racing everything from 50cc minis to open class superbikes for sincce 1975. I prefer to take it to the track. My street sportbike is a nice little mild manored SV650S Suzuki, nice looking, but only about 70 rear wheel horsepower for it's 375 lb dry weight. And it is QUITE stable at speed, but will only top something short of 140. That, after all, is TWICE the posted speed limits in Texas. Hell, the thing'll do nice second gear wheelies setting the front down at over 70 mph. Don't ask how I know this.:D :D The bike cost me about 6K new and it's plenty adequate for a street bike, a tone of fun. This bike accelerates good enough to run low 12s, high 11s in a quarter mile bone stock, and with some suspension mods, handles fantastic! Why would I need more on the street and for what? That's why I like sportbikes, though, the fantastic handling for a street bike anyway. I've owned GP road racing motorcycles that will outhandle ANY street bike, a TZ250 many years ago, a TZ125 not long ago, and recently a RS125 Honda that I sold. Those little bikes might not sound like much, but with over 40 horsepower, full race fairing, and 160 lbs wet, an RS125 can top 140 mph. They're not cheap, new around 10K bucks, high maintenance two strokes. Piston kits last 300 miles, cranks about 1300. They are very serious racing motorcycles, not mopeds, and any street bike around pales in comparison where brakes and handling are concerned. The 500cc versions of these things raced in Europe until a couple of years ago would top well over 200 mph and made about 200 horsepower for their slightly over 200 lbs. So, having ridden all this stuff, I really don't get that up about sport bike performance on the street. I'm not a stunter, though I'll wheelie it now and then when no one is looking. I just enjoy quick handling and I don't need no liter bike to get that on the street. A lighter, smaller bike will handle better, after all.

Compared to that GP machinery, carving corners on a street bike is a little mundane. The GP stuff has so much cornerspeed, so much lean angle on it's slicks, you don't even have to stick a knee out for it to be dragging before and after the apex. Knee sliders are NOT optional on these things. Compared to them, going on a performance ride on my SV isn't much of a thrill. Now days, I ride minis, have a little 80cc Kawasaki with slicks and a big disc up front. It's what's known as a "motard", street modded motocross bike. It' gives me that thrill on little tiny kart tracks at sub 100 mph speeds and these things are affordable to race. And racing as I do, when I'm out on the back roads, I don't push things. I know the limits of the bike, they are not MY limits. Too many street sport bike riders, almost all of them, are over their heads very quickly on a sport bike. On a liter bike I could find MY limits, too, likely. Good reason to ride something a little smaller.

I think the sportbike crazies, the stunters, are all youngsters with few skills and much testosterone and that right there is a recipe for disaster. One thing that chaps me, too, is the dealer that will sell some numb nut kid a liter bike when the kid will TELL that salesman he has no experience. Hell, they don't have an MC license many times! I've known of several such incidents and one I know of through a friend who knew him wound up dead.

I know all you guys pretty much, myself included, are pretty libertarian or conservative in outlook, but I firmly believe there should be tiered licensing for motorcycles. First two years you should not be allowed on anthing bigger than perhaps a 250, 500 max! You graduate to 600, say, then after a few more years and maybe required training and testing, you can have a liter bike, unrestricted. I know that HD and new HD riders wouldn't like that, but it's logical even for a new cruiser rider to learn to ride on something lighter he or she can control more easily. I mean it's either this or they're going to limit displacement! Perhaps they'll limit horsepower output, whatever, nobody will like it. In the US, licensing is done state to state and is not a federal concern, though anytime the feds want something like this, all they do is threaten to withhold highway funds from the states that don't comply. There are strong arm tactics.

I hate to limit someone's freedom to ride what they want, but hey, my wife and daughter drive the highways and it's their life on the line as well as the idiot that causes the accident. It involves more than the person on the motorcycle. If that's all that was at risk, I'd say let darwinism rule, but they can get innocents hurt riding like this. I think the idiotic kids turned on by the sportbike stunting and fast metric car movies would lose patience if they had to ride a 250 and while that wouldn't be good for motorcycle sales at the moment, I think it would be good in the long run politically for the industry.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  20. usahellas

usahellas New Member

Not bad

You made some very good points Goose. I actually learned how to ride at a friend of mines house. He had about 2 to 3 acres of land and a Honda dirt bike. I do not remember exactly but I think it was a 75cc. I learned a lot back then, but this was a dirt bike, no license but hey NOT on the STREET. I joined the Army and was sent to Germany. One day I decided I wanted a motorcycle. I went out and ordered myself a Kawasaki Ninja 600R and then went and got my license. “Is anyone thinking STUPID”. Just got my license and jump on a bike with about 90hp and top end "after a few mods" of about 145MPH (according to the speedometer).

Now Germans have it even more difficult. At the age of 18 you can take your license test. If you pass your Motorcycle license test you get a two year probationary license. Now you can buy any motorcycle you please as long as it does not have any more than 34HP. After the two years probation you can buy a larger bike. I use to think what a stupid rule but after thinking about this for a while, you do not see any 18 year old kids running around on 100HP bikes. Most of them have a 125cc scooter or a cross bike or so. They learn how to drive before getting a crotch rocket or a Chopper or whatever. For some reason that has started making sense to me. Now you can get a 50cc scooter at 16 I think or it might be even younger. Now believe it or not those things can be really fun. It just seems that you are either stopped or full throttle. Oh yeah, by the way I read somewhere that if you are over 25 the probation does not apply. There are more rules and regs applying to the Germans but none of you are really interested in that.

I am not saying that we should limit people on their selection of a new bike BUT I think that it may not be a bad idea to set a kid on a 50cc scooter for two or three years to let him get use to it. Then at 16 let him get a little bit larger bike and after he has riden a year or two then let him do as he pleases. As far as people riding motorcycles without a motorcycle license what should I say. There is a saying in German which is basically translated into "Stupidity will be punished".
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2004