1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bluetooth headset

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Oct 22, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The last thing I want is someone calling me and talking to me while I'm riding on the bike. I don't want to talk to anyone while riding. I throw the phone in the trunk and check it when I stop and maybe not even then. :)
  3. cardboard

YOu don't listen to the radio, or music from yer gps unit?

You can't talk with yer buddy yer riding with incase somebody needs to stop.

Options are to be used the way you want them.
  4. FLHTbiker

You won't ever find a GPS on my bike. Listening to music is relaxing and a whole lot different from talking on the phone. I have to have my cell phone with me day and night for my business but when on vacation and riding, no thanks I want to relax and not be bothered.
    The bluetooth would be fine for some just not me.
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have Cardo wireless head set with blue tooth capability. it is ok when my wife and I ride together. To use a cell phone with an open face helmet you have to slow down to 55 mph due to wind noise.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i keep a watch in my mirrors.....if a bike drops out i know to turn around and see why. i know a few guys that were killed because they werent paying attention to the hiway.....cardboard, like you told me last week....if you take your attention away from riding, even for a few seconds your likely to crash.....like your buddy did ..........cell phone stays in the bag until i need it.............
  7. cardboard

So if'n you bluetooth a cell phone is the only thing you can do it with Huh.........
  8. chucktx

?????????????
  9. cardboard

So you riding down the road listenin to yer radio on yer motorcycle might make you not pay attention............:banghead:
  10. chucktx

completely different......not stuck in my ear...........can also hear other things going on around me......music is one thing, but talking and makeing/recieving phone calls is another..........
  11. cardboard

MY Zumo 550 has a memory chip slot.
    I can buy a 2gb card for 14.00 that will hold a couple songs.
    I can bluetooth my gps into a headset and listen to music while I ride.

Everybody seems to mix up things with Bluettooth.
    I have operated a business for 19yrs, while workin on the job driving down the road.

I'm not askin anybody to do nothin that they don't want to do.
    I just put another tool in yer toolbox that may help you down the road.

And my GPS unit is a motorcycle GPS, it has no speakers. So with a bluetooth headset I can hear the directions the lady in the Box is saying to me as I drive.
    The GPS unit has a control know to turn the sound up or down or off.......:rant:
  12. cardboard

They make helmets that the headsets fit in.
    It don't go in yer ear..........

And the mic goes on he side with the bluetooth uniton it.

And the dude that sells motorcycle stereo's and amps and motorcycle speakers told me . Have you ever thought about puttin a headset in yer helmet and listening to it.
    Gurarantte you its 10 times better than any stereo you can put in yer bike.
  13. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Wife gave me a bluetooth for my phone and it goes along with me me everywhere - in the bag and the phone gits checked for missed calls when I stop. I get on the ride to enjoy riding and like FLHTbiker and chuck - I don't want to be brothered with phone calls when I'm ridin. Great being retired ain't it?:D
  14. FLHTbiker

I have a $119.00 garmin in my truck with Bluetooth because Oregon law doesn't allow cell phone use when driving. That's good but I get people calling for business all the time.
    I hate it when they call and I'm trying to drive and talk to sum guy or women. Like today a Oriental calls, can't understand him so told him that after I get to the office I'll call him back. Worked cause I got a 7000 square foot commercial inspection but trying to talk and drive sucks. Turned the music back on and just relaxed the rest of the way home.
    I got a head set in my helmet for CB use and music. Don't use the CB much any more now that I'm no longer a Road Captain and really don't care for loud music in my ears so use the outside speakers most of the time.
    My favorite helmet is a half helmet made by scorpion with the drop down sun screen and no head set installed in it. :)
  15. chucktx

16. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I spent some time looking at the Scorpion website. I like the half helmets EXO100 series. They have a removable liner and the helmet only costs $120. the only other half helmet that I've seen with a removable/washable liner is from HD and it was $250. Thanks for the info.

PS. I'm with you, I don't need to talk to anyone while I'm riding but music would be nice. I need to get an Ipod or something.
  17. FLHTbiker

Need to get me a Ipod and hire some kid to show me how to use it. :D
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

the helmet blooteeth works good
    lots of people do it, and the headset could and
    would marry up with your cell if you wanted it
    connected, a good set of speakers in the helmet will
    improve music and cut down wind noise...

I wouldn't want to talk on the cell on the bike, next I'd want to make a call
    I'd opt for a full face with built in (added in) blooteef and mic in helmet...
  19. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

The wife and I have Bluetooth intercoms (Scala Rider G4). She was not interested in getting them, said we had no use for them, we had been riding for years with hand signals that worked fine, she didn’t need music and I didn’t need to be on the phone, bla bla bla. After we bought them we both really like them. The music is great especially when I’m riding by myself, although when she is with me I usually have them on intercom at least half of the time. I do a lot of talking and she is very tolerant, “look over there, turn here, where do you want to eat, watch that idiot on the left, what do you want to do when we get home, did you see that? Bla bla bla!! We both really like them because we don’t have to read each other’s minds, and you can change plans as often as you like without stopping for a pow wow. As far as the phone goes, my phone has a short battery life on blue tooth so I usually only link it up when we are meeting friends somewhere without a defenant plan, or just a plan of call when you get close and we’ll meet up. If someone else calls I just let them know that they caught me riding and I’ll call them back when I stop. If the caller your expecting has their own ring tone then you can ignore other calls and let them go to voice mail. It can all be done hands free and works good, I do prefer to manually switch between intercom and music.
  20. cardboard