1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Boring

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Nov 30, 2007.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have been half as* checking into Boring out the jug's I got from Ken , just to95in spec's maybe getting a few more ponies so far the best price is $100 a hole , the one guy I talked to must have thought I was dumb or something after he has he's guess ta ment I could have order the 95 in kit from HD & saved money , I've been just asking at the little indy shop's , today at Iron mikes shop he gave me the best deal yet small shop very nice guy he run's his own shop good set up he invited me into the shop area to look around , Just don't know why it so much more to bore A hd jug then A V8 dodge Block :wtf:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the added expense partly comes from the special tool used to hold the cylinder to keep it round. if bored with out it, the hole will become egg shaped. be sure to have them show you the "jig" you could end up with an egg shaped bore!!!
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thank's chuck that explanes alot , I have had My 71 truck truck block simese bored & it cost a little more then just boring it out & it's A bit different then just one hole at a time but still seem's a bit cheeper then A one hole job for up to $200 each :eek:
  4. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

We have a machine shop locally that does mostly car engine blocks but one of the owners is a biker and they also do motorcycle cylinders. They don't depend on cycle work to keep the shop open so they are significantly cheaper. It may be worth the effort to check your local machine shops, just be sure (like Chuck said) to make sure they know what they are doing. At the shop here, one look at the owner's bike pretty much told me all I needed to know. BTW I was in there getting a small block Chevy done but i would trust them with my bike cylinders. Al
  5. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

When I first read the topic, I thought you were buzy watching soap operas... I was gonna say cut it out... But now that I see you're talking machining, I get it... Anywho, I like the idea of checking out local machine shops... Just check with the BBB for any possible complaints... There are a few seedy ones out there that will do more harm than help... BOL:)
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

BOL???? = belching out loud????
  7. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Best Of Luck!!!:)