1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Brake Pedal Relocation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Apr 22, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hello All,

Hey I have a small problem. I got my bike back together and I noticed that the pipes that I put on my bike are sort of in the way of my brake pedal. :gah: I took a look at a possible fix for it but I am not sure that it will work. when I ride it. I have to sort of become pigeion toed in order to depress the pedal. I have to do this because the pedal is tucked in a little too much. I thought a spacer would take care of the problem to move the pedal out a little but I am worried that a spacer will cause the linkage to be bent and then create more problems. I spoke to Harley and they readily said that there was a recall on the master a while back. Does anyone have any suggestions? :banghead:
  2. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

Forward controls!
  3. JohnnyBiker

The bike already has forward controls on it. My bad. i guess I forgot to say that. :D
  4. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

Have any pics? Hard to visualize
  5. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

Use the front brake !
  6. Wideglide85

Wideglide85 Active Member

Brakes are for sissies. :)
  7. JohnnyBiker

I think that it is cool to be safe! :cool:
  8. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

If there's a recall on the master cylinder it only makes sense to get the newest one. But it still may not work with the pipes - most manufacturers specify which of their pipes will fit with forward controls, which won't & if you got a set that's not made for use with forwards, you'll always have problems.
  9. JohnnyBiker

the recall was a long time ago I guess. I have thought about just heating up the pedal and bending it outward a little. I know this will discolor the chrome, but I guess this is why there are plating companies. That or have a new one machined?
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

how bout posting a nice close pic of the problem,,,,,,,,,the solution may be simple!
  11. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Presuming the pedal is cast, that ain't gonna work. And as Chuck sez, a picture sure would help.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would space out the mounting bracket, get a spacer at ace hardware, usually in the chrome bits you will find a good spacer in different diam. and get a new bolt..
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

First off have HD run your vin it will tell them if the master has been done already second I went back & looked at the pic's you posted in the project section , Are those the same pipes you have on there now ? If so sound's like all you'll need to do is get a spacer & new longer bolt Like HRK said , just slide the pedel out word about a inch & you should be good to go /stop
  14. JohnnyBiker

Yes those are the same the pipes that are on the bike now. I too looked at just using a spacer, but the problem is that if I use a spacer, that is going to offset the linkage which will then make the linkage coming from the pedal to the master, offset. That spells disaster. Yes, the pedal is cast. My dad suggested that I drill a couple of wholes in the pedal and bolt on piece of metal to extend it out. That just simply is not an option.
  15. cowboy

get a better pic & put it in this post & lets get a better view & see what's up , I'am guessing your leg is to short to go around the pipe ,right
  16. JohnnyBiker

I will get a pic up but my camera just went dead. But you are right. that is my problem, I a little short and I have a little bit of an issue with my legs getting around the pipe.
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

without a pic, all i can recommend is a block of wood on the pedal!!!!:D:D
  18. cowboy

Ya & you'll need duck tape to hold the wood on :roflmao:
  19. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

return the pipes and get a new set. Just because they say for use with forward controls isn't always so. I had a simular problem with my last pipes. the brake pedal hit the pipe just enough to rub it and press on the pipe. jurt got the same pipes and have so much clearence now I can put a couple of fingers in the gap. not to mention the mount to the motor never fit on both sets. when taking the old one off I noted that I had cut it down and drilled a new hole and just re-used it. what kinda pipes where they anyway?
  20. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

After you space the pedal out. Take off the linkage rod and bend it is an s curve, just enough so both ends are straight in to the m/c and pedal.