1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

brakes on 85 fxrs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by duke76, Sep 24, 2006.

1. duke76

duke76 New Member

I have a 1985 fxrs and I always thought my brakes worked great until I rode my buddies new bike with twin calipers and rotors, I about did an endo when I stopped. I do not have the mounting holes on my forks for a caliper on the other side so another caliper and rotor is out. My question is what can I do to improve the brakes on this bike, I realize it is 21 years old and it will probably not stop like a new bike but could I switch to a 4 or possibly 6 piston caliper? would that make a big difference? Has anyone here done that? Would I have to get a larger master cylinder? Also is there any 4 piston calipers less than a couple hundred bucks? Does Harley put any 4 piston calipers on any bikes that maybe someone would put a chrome one on and take off the black one so I could possibly find a good used one? Sorry for all the questions.
  2. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

There are fork leg lowers out there with the mounts for calipers. You would add a rotor (different wheel hub maybe?), respace your wheel, and different master cylinder I think. I've thought about it myself, but it hasn't risen high enough on the priority list yet.
  3. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    I Have The Answer To Your Brake Problem

I am about to change my front end and brake system. I have dual disk now but I am changeing them to chrome. I am changeing my calipers and sliders to chrome. It will be complete with all the plumbing. I can't tell you when this will happen because I am rebuilding my top end right now. Plus I have other things on my plate. I am not sure how CD feels about this kind of stuff going on here. I am alway in the bike tech forum. I just happen to see your cry for help on your brakes. I won't ride without dual brakes on any bike that I own.
    They have saved my butt on more then one occasion. Yes they do stop on a dime. If you want to send me a personal message and if it is not cool with CD.
    I am sure he will let us know. Gumby 321 Peace
  4. CD

CD Guest

Gumby, this is what it is all about here so no problem.

The 85-99 brakes actually can be brought to life with a couple of simple changes. First, switch to LRB Z-Pads or Gold Pads and change your lines to stainless steel. The stock pads suck and the LRB pads are tons better. Stock brake lines swell under pressure and the older the line, the more it will swell reducing the pressure to the caliper. Stainless lines won't swell so all of the pressure is transmitted to the caliper.

Your rotors have to be in good shape. The stock zinc rotors do wear and if you have gouges or they are worn at all, replace them with stainless steel. Nothing fancy is needed and you can even use the stock looking vented style.

Of course, you can change to a Performance Machine 4 piston differential bore or a six piston caliper with a stainless brake line and get a ton better braking.

I would recommend going the stainless steel line / LRB pads and make sure the rotor is good. That way if you still do not like the braking you can get a new caliper and still use the stainless line and rotor.

Switching to a dual caliper is a good alternative but in the long run costs more $$$ and even with dual stock calipers a PM six piston will outperform them.
  5. duke76

duke76 New Member

Thanks guys, all information is greatly appreciated, I will look into the pads and line and Gumby when you get the switch made PM me with a price.
  6. duke76

duke76 New Member

On the lrb z pads it says for use with stainless rotors, my stock rotors look fine can I still uses them, what stainless line do you recommend or are they basically all the same
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Duke I run a PM 6 piston diff bore on the front of my heritage, one caliper, the bike makes just a tad over 135 HP and with the PM 6 piston it will flat haul the bike down fast! Faster than the stock newer twin cam duals on my riding friends bikes.

the Differential bore makes a difference, also floating rotors will make a big difference,

Larger rotor and diff bore = greater breaking surface.

There are several manuf of brake components for new parts, and you can always get with Gumby or on any of the ebay type sites and look for takeoff lowers where someones doing like Gumby and changing the bottom end out.

PM stuff isnt' cheap but then again the deductable on the bike and my insurance deductable are a butt load higher if you know what I mean LOL

The LRB pads CD told you about are great! Get the Z pads for the street if they make them for your model, gold requires break in z pads don't, you'll also have longer life and less dust.
  8. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

And then there is Brembo...for serious braking. :cool:
  9. CD

CD Guest

What it means is that it is rotor friendly and will not harm polished rotors. You can use them with any rotor.