1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Braking preference

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by jturuk, Aug 18, 2007.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

I was just curious as to what you guys use. Front brake only, back brake only, or combination of the two. When I first was learning to ride this bike I used exclusivly the front brake. then I forced myself to start to using the back brake to give it an honest try to see how it would feel. I now find myself using it totally unless I have to really stop in a hurry. I've just grown really comfortable with it.

John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i use both. the rear more than the front, unless i NEED to stop in a hurry. i usually slow down before i need to stop. i never use the front in parking lots, driveways,ect. too many little loose stones, and the front will tend to lock up when ya least expect it when it the loose stuff. dont use a lot of front brake in the rain either....hope this helps a bit!!!!!! have fun!!!:)
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I tend to favor my front though I do use a combo of both under different conditions. I use my rear mostly when I need slower speed control.
  4. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

When I took my MSF course, they tell you to favor the front. Like Ken said, you need to use the back under certain conditions though. You cruise into a stone parking lot or down the shore near the sand and hit that front brake......boy you're gettin a face full of somethin that's for sure. Like they say, practice, practice, practice.
  5. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

i use both, and i would say equally.........cause alot of times coming to a quick
    halt,i will hear the back brake trying to lock up,partly from down shifting.partly from apply alot of rear,but at the same time the front forks are mash down just to the point of lockdown........as well....
    bad habbit of mine in parking lots using the front brake mostly, if not only....
    i am sure that will bite me in the butt some day, and when it does i will start using the back brake.......

looking back on last night......yupppppp......i use lots of the front brake in the parking lot of hooters.......and zero back brake.......funny that back tire was just SMOKINNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

(and yess piglet gets a new rear tire every 4 months weteher it needs it or not)

TRG
  6. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Let's see, two calipers in front, one in the rear. With 70% of the stopping power in the front, due to weight transfer, I use the front. Being an exMSF instructor, it taught me a lot about stopping and I just don't seem to put my foot on the pedal unless I'm trying to scrub off a bit of speed while cornering or while riding on wet or gravel surfaces.
  7. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Front mostly... Rear on special occasions...:)
  8. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

3/4 front 1/4 rear.......I rarely use front only.
  9. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I use the front most of the time. I like the idea that you should use the back in parking lots. I will try to remember this one.

In a panic I will use both and when I am in the twisties I use both because it loads the suspension evenly right before a turn.

I have locked up the back tire on several occasions during panic stops. The one thing I thought was interesting is that with the Avon tire, you don't hear it lock up, you just feel it slide. The Dunlop tire would make a screech and you new it right away.

I need to work on the habit of braking with both front and rear during a panic stop AND hitting the horn button at the same time :gah: :D
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

both...although I favour the front.
  11. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

I use my back brake 80% of the time. the only time I use my front brake is if a car darts out in front of me or some thing like that. And then I will hit the back and front about the same time . Its not a good Idea to favor your front brake to much its a good way to go down
  12. Peyts

Peyts New Member

I use a combination of the two, but probably use the front brake a bit more.
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

When I started riding I didn't have front brakes, so I'm in the habit of not using them. I'm starting to use them both equally a lot more now since that's what I teach in the MSF course. It's a good habit to get into to use both brakes so that when you are in a quick stop situation you automatically go for both brakes. The stopping distance is much shorter.
  14. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I use them both as well. I usually use the rear 1st to slow down then use the front to come to a stop with the front ultimately doing the bulk of the work.

I also opted to upgrade to Performance Machine 4 piston calipers in favor of the POS stock calipers that came on my 1999 Fatboy. That made a HUGE difference.
  15. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I use the front most of the time 1. I am to lazy to take my feet off the highway pegs in slow traffic and 2. it's easier to change the front brakes. but when I am in heavy traffic close traffic, thight curves, where animals play, or running at high speeds I am at the ready on both.