1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Breather Canisters

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy48, Oct 31, 2007.

1. cowboy48

cowboy48 New Member

Any one got a diff set of breather canisters on thier bike? I am looking at changing to the sifton dual breather kit. THEY are on ebay, just type in 40-0436 and hit search. Any one have any pics of diff set ups?
    :cool:
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

your duce has external breather cannisters???? got a pic??
  3. cowboy48

cowboy48 New Member

no i dont. i have arlen ness stage 1 intake on, and the head breathers are basicly just like the factory ones. what i was asking does any one have an diff set, or a after market set.
    :cool:
  4. chucktx

i dont have, but i have seen after market stuff to plumb them to the street....drips out under the bike. are you having problems with oil in the aircleaner??
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

this is new for me

this is new to me. have never seen this subject come up before:confused: what could be the the benefits to this change?
  6. chucktx

the breather set up on the twin cams is not a good one from the factory. the oil vapor is supposed to go into the aircleaner and be consumed by recurculating back through the combuston chambers. if the bike is ridden hard for a length of time, the vapor condences and settles into the aircleaner, then drips out on the engine, or to the rear of the bike. it is not a problem if you maintain the filter and cover weekly. i had this problem with the stock system and stage 1 arlen ness. i changed to the stage 2 and have not had the problem since. 2 up and pulling a trailer. other after market suppliers have come up with nifty chrome high dollar adapters to funnel the vapors to the bottom of the bike with a chrome high dollar pretty filter. same setup as the old shovels......makes the back of the bike messy. maybe someone else has a bit more insight to this,,,,:)
  7. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i'm thinking i may have had that problem once a while back, but it was very mild, maybe a couple of drops. so... if not having any problems it would be a waste of time and money to do the canister thing. am i correct in saying that?:confused:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There are several out there Dorughty (SP) makes one, and a kit to stop the problem as well.

If you have big problems with oil dripping or blowby it's usually the oil pump that is out of alignment, if you did a big bore with cam change in many cases the tech or person doesn't get it lined up right, at higher speeds or longer runs you can end up with a side covered in oil or a really leaky filter.

So if you did a cam change and need to fix it align the oil pump

If not and you just want external breathers check on Custom Chrome - Aftermarket Harley Davidson ® Motorcycle Parts and Accessories or Drag Specialties there are a bunch

What I did was buy the hard frame molded plastic tube for the CA charcoal canisters, it will run from the backing plate to the frame, along it and drop in behind the trans.

Install that line, pop a rubber hose and a cheap CCI chrome filter on the end behind the trans, then plumb it to the breathers with some hose and fittings.
  9. chucktx

skull, you are correct.....just keep the aircleaner and cover clean....while your doing that you can check other things also......takes about 1 beer to do!!