1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Breather Kit

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Time to pay the tax....
    I picked up a set of V&H Oval slip-ons and want to find a breather kit that I can use the stock air cleaner cover and I also route the crank breather to the atmosphere instead of back into the intake.
    Can I do that with the SE or Ness big Sucker kits??
    I'm going with a PC III because when I get the extra coin(next season hopefully) I'm planning on going with the HQ 95" Touring Package.
    Any suggestions,tips or advice welcome.:devil:
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

yes the stock cover works over those air filters.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If you use a SE or Arlen Ness Big Sucker assembly the breathers are integrated into the backing. Personally I think this setup is the best way since it doesn't require additional pieces or hoses. Plus on modern Twin Cams the amount of oil blown out the breather is far less than in the past.
  4. Lucifer

Thanks fellas....I guess I'll have to settle for less instead of none:cool: I do like the less is more with the backing plate. It is a better leak proof setup with no hoses. Just sent my bud a little parts list to price for me ...I'll prolly go with the lower price between the 2 since their flow is about par.....did I mention I'm a cheap bstrd:rolleyes: ;) :devil:
  5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I plugged the hole in my backing plate, which is a 1998 SE backing plate, and ran a black hose from the breather cross-over to the ground. You have to look close to see this hose since it blends in with the black wrinkle paint on the engine. I did this for 2 reasons; I was getting two much oil in the air cleaner, and I felt that the hot oil gasses could affect the intake air temperature sender for the EFI. The oil runs into the throttle body directly all over this sensor.

I am about to put on the Ness big sucker for the carb conversion and I noticed that there is no way reroute the breather oil with this set up since it is built into the machining of the backing plate. At least now when I get rid of the EFI I won't have to worry about temp sensors anymore.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

i run the Se breather kit had it on there for a few years now 03 FLHTPI , no trouble ith the oil & I put a round EVO carb cover on it for look's , as I don't care for chrome foot ball look :cool:
  7. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Cowboy - I just installed the Ness big sucker on mine with the stock cover - It's working great so far and I like the way the backing plate does away with the breather tubes. Maybe in the far distance future when the oil flow increases I've change to something else, but for now I'm a Happy camper.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

sarge i have 56k on my bike & never been into it except for pipes & ac kit & pc 111 , I just put the ound ac cover for looks 7 it don't hide the heads as much as the stock cover
  9. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Ordered a SE Stage I breather kit from St. Paul Harley off ebay because it was 80 bucks. (Wife`s bike) When I got it in I found it did not have a back plate as the one on my 05.....Had a crome nice looking metal tube that ran from the breather to crank....comes up under the tank....found this model SE breather had been replaced with the part# thats on my bike. Long story short...got it installed...Cranked the bike....HAD A KNOCK IN THE MOTOR. Thought maybe the tube ran in the crankcase to far and screwed up the Trike......Found that the tube was banging on the tank.....bent it over some more and problem solved......Scared the H#LL out of me though....Now I know why they up graded the part!! Works great!! ;)
  10. Lucifer

Mayor what year bike is your wifes?? got the part # for the SE kit??
    Here's a thought.... The Ness Big Sucker will fit 02-05 EFI touring and all head breathing BT's, Evo &TC's , so if I wanted to get the oil mist in the intake down to zero,an older style backing plate with a crankcase breather kit should bolt right up....think that would work??
  11. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Bike is an 06......Kit works fine and I really like the look of the crome tube between the breather and tank......Has good pep for a trike with the Sampsons......rather have V&H, but, all our extra money is going for fuel to ride now!! May have to get some round covers for both....I agree they look great. Next thing I get for her bike is cruise.....When I bought it it was a Classic and all I have left to add is cruise to have all Ultra equipment.....Been fun...but, NOW it is time to ride again!!!!