1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Broken Stud removal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by EPS, Oct 6, 2006.

1. EPS

EPS New Member

Changing the front tire on my 2003 RK I broke a stud on the bottom of the right hand shock. Two 3/8 studs extend about 1-1/4 inches from the bottom of the shock. They pass through a "U" shaped clamp. The clamp is called "AXLE HOLDER" and mounts under the front axle. Two 1/2" nuts screw onto the studs and thighen the clamp around the axle.

Can the broken stud be removed from the bottom of the shock? About one inch of the broken stud extends beyond the bottom of the shock. I tried ViseGrips but the stud would not move. Please help if you can, I'm planning to ride south for Octoberfest and need to get my bike back on the road.
    Thanks Ed
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

Spray the stud with penetrating oil and let sit then come back the next day and spray again then grab the stud with a new vise grip or one that has very good jaws, the bigger the vise grip the better and start rocking the stud back and forth and keep doing that until it screws out. If you want it out faster and have access to a welder, weld a nut on to the stud and rock it back and forth with a wrench, make sure you keep it well oiled with penetrating oil while you do this but before you weld the nut on the stud make sure you clean the oil or you may have a fire, also it would be a good idea to disconnect the battery to avoid damaging sensitive electronics. If there is enough threads still on the stud, thread a nut on the stud and then another nut locking the two nuts together and turn the stud out. Hope this helps
  3. CD

CD Guest

The fork axle cap studs are installed using a stud locking compund like Loctite stud lock #271. Before trying penetrating oil I would get a pen torch and gently heat the lower leg around the stud (keeping the heat away from the stud itself) it will cause the stud lock to melt and makes removal a ton easier. Like duke76 said, use vice grips with good jaws and work it slowly back and forth.
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

If you ain't done yet when you heat it use candle wax on it and it will seep in easier than brake fluid without damage to your finish
  5. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Mr Ironhorse: You have reallly piqed my curiosity. Use candle wax on what and where? I know about heating Loctite tm. It also helps to give it a nice heavy tap with a hammer (on the end of the stud) to help shock the Loctite tm loose when heating.

You lost me on the candle wax.
  6. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Autozone also has some stud remover kits you can buy, use, then return like a rental system. they work a little better than Vice Grips. I have a set myself.
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

AZroaddust the wax is a very thin parifan when heated allowing it to penitrate in to the threads and it will mix with certain agents so as to explain the result the wax is a very good lubricant allowing the bolt or stud to ez on out ,hope that explains it.
  8. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

Thank you. New one for me, but I'll store that in what's left of my memory banks. Did you know that spraying your bait with WD40 is great for attracting Sturgeon in the Columbia River? (I figured I owed you a tip too!)

HEY! Here's another "oldie": Got a small crack in a gear case, oil pan etc.? Rub the crack/pin hole with a BAR of Fels Naptha soap and the leak will stop indefinetly! I've used this trick on many hydraulic reservoirs where there was a pin hole in a bad weld and we didn't want to drain the reservoir to weld again, plus any oil reside would burn and cause some serious contamination. Never fails!:D
  9. stevenh

stevenh New Member

HEY! Here's another "oldie": Got a small crack in a gear case, oil pan etc.? Rub the crack/pin hole with a BAR of Fels Naptha soap and the leak will stop indefinetly! I've used this trick on many hydraulic reservoirs where there was a pin hole in a bad weld and we didn't want to drain the reservoir to weld again, plus any oil reside would burn and cause some serious contamination. Never fails!:D[/QUOTE]

I wish I knew that a long time ago.... does it work on gas tanks do you think?
    I have heard about using WD 40 for spraying bait... up here it would be for bass or trout.
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Wd 40

have you ever heard the one about spraying and rubbing WD 40 into your knee when arthritis is acting up?? Heard it from a few old timers that had arther come to visit in the knees....they swore by it...not a clue if it works or not!!! :rolleyes:
  11. AZroaddust

AZroaddust New Member

I wish I knew that a long time ago.... does it work on gas tanks do you think?
    I have heard about using WD 40 for spraying bait... up here it would be for bass or trout.[/QUOTE]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Being as both are petro-chemicals, I wouldn't be afraid to try it, assuming the gasoline leak was just a very small one, like sweating out gas, not a steady stream. The worse it will do is clean your tank on the outside.

If you try it on a gasoline tank, please lettuce know how it works!
  12. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    About Wd 40

It can also be used as a hand cleaner. It works very well. Also want to let you all know that saturday I got my FXR finished. I want to thank Dave, Sam and everyone who contributed to my rebuild.
    I had my buds over and they all pitched in also. I have to tell you I followed Daves build to a T and everything went very well. I got the HONDA BOND and the guys that were helping me had their doubts. One said if it comes from Honda it has to work. It does and if anyone is thinking of a rebuild please contact DIRECT PARTS. They do have some tricks that work. I also got the OIL FIX. I installed my gaskets 1 day before my barrels. I put the barrels over the new gaskets and put pressure on the barrels to hold the HONDA BOND down to the cases. Plus this gave me extra time for it to cure. So today I will be putting some miles on my baby. We are taking a trip to Mexico in a few weeks and I want to make sure all is O.K. Thanks to you all I really appreciated all the input I got. I hope to see some of you real soon.
    GUMBY PEACE
  13. stevenh

stevenh New Member

Congrats on the rebuild Gumby.... Happy trails.
  14. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Thanks Bro

It all worked out great. I followed Daves way from Direct Parts and it all worked out great. Thanks again. I had much help here and in the Forum. Thanks to all..GUMBY PEACE
  15. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

When and Where

Hey D,

Sounds great. I figured since I did not hear from you in a while you where hard at work.

Ride on bro....

Mexico...when and where?

T
  16. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

This Is It

The Rocky Point Rally..you Can Look It Up, It Has All The Info. I Am Now Dead In The Water Again. One Of My Partners Lost 2 Little Parts To My Mikuni. So Now I Have To Track Them Down. I Started Today. I Will Be Calling Many People Today Again...gumby Peace
    Take The Ride..we Will Be Headed That Way I Believe. Towards The Border In Mexicali...
  17. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

Yeh, when and where is this Mexico trip. My wife and I were thinking about Rocky Point or points south in early Dec. Will keep an eye out for cyberbikers.
  18. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Hey Skyking

I always wonderd about that show and why you never see it in reruns. Sky King and Penny was his little girl. Always flying around the country. Do you remember the show?
    Anyway about Mexico, yes it is THE ROCKY POINT RALLY November 9 to the 12 th. It is about 65 miles into Mexico. If you have never been to Mexico before on your bike, or in anything for that matter. Get Mexican insurance it will save your butt. I have been riding to Mexico for years now. I have gone as far as San Phillepe and Pursabo. All I can say is the further you get away from the border the nicier Mexico is.
    We spent 4 great days in Phillepe when the Baja 500 was running.
    People say to me that they would never take their bike to Mexico. They are affraid of getting it stolen or getting killed for it. Mexico is not like that at all.

You treat people and the country with respect and you will get that in return.
    We went through many federally road blocks and never have had any problems. People have to remember they want our money and they want you to come back.
    I hope you make it down there. I will be with about 25 other riders from Las Vegas. I know I will be the only one there with a black and white FXR P.
    It still has the police logo on the tank. If you see a guy with patches on his jacket that honors all the 9/11 workers and those that died that day. It will be me. I lost a good friend on flight 77, the one that hit the pentagon. I am also from New York originally and my brother in law built those buildings. He also was one of the iron workers that went into the city that night to help with the demo.
    I never wore a patch of any kind but I have dedicated my bike and jacket so people won't ever forget. I also have a lic. plate that will remind people when they see it.
    So look for me and say howdy. I hope to meet you down there. GUMBY PEACE
  19. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

Used to be a Firefighter. Crew at one station started calling me SkyKing, since I was a pilot, too. Kinda stuck over the years. I'm a Professional pilot these days. My wife and I have been to Mexico quite a few times by car/truck, and a few by light airplane. Never had a major hassle. I would have no qualms about taking bikes down. Won't make Rocky Point this time as I have work commitments, but hope to make it later in Dec. Ride safe, leave a few Cervazas for my visit.
  20. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

Sounds Very Exciting

Must be a nice thing to be able to do. Hop in a plane and just go anywhere you want too. I have a close friend here in Vegas that does the same thing.
    The only diff. is his brother has the plane and pays for the gas.
    Every time he goes some place with him I say you lucky S.O.B. They go off hunting for the weekend or fishing in Oregon.
    Must be very nice to be able to live a life where you don't have to worry about how you are going to pay for gas for a plane that you own.
    I don't know if this is true or not but I got a call from another guy I met on this website. It seems that Dave is sick or is having health issues. So they are shutting Direct Parts down. So this site will be gone as well.

I hope this is not true. I finally found a great site with great people who are willing to help you out with what ever you needed.
    I finished my top end last week and I went by Daves way of doing a top end.
    I did exactly what he did with his FXR and have had not 1 problem with leaks or anything. He was a great help for me. The site was a great help so, I am hopeing this is not true. If the site does shut down put me in your computer.
    Here is my e mail address.....KACHINA321@AOL.COM.

Keep me posted on how things are going. I have made many buds here and they all seem to be trully genuine people. I have gotten phone calls from people wanting to know when I will be going to Mexico so that we might be able to hook up there. You being in Idaho makes it a bit hard for us to hook up. Unless you put your bike in your plane and come on out to Vegas.
    Now that sounds like a great plan for a long weekend.

So you stay well and keep in touch. Keep the rubber side down and keep your wings in the air. Be careful in all your ventures weather in the air or on the ground. If you do ever get out here, don't hesitate to contact me.
    My Cell # is 562-900-9377 and home is 702-558-0170. take care Skyking. Stay in touch, Dennis G AKA GUMBY321 PEACE 4-NYC IS MY LIC.PLATE