1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Buell XB12 XP Police Bike

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Sep 7, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i havent.....................
  3. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Looks fast, and 103 HP, it should be able to move.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got a buddy that has the XB9 and its only a 900 cc and I've hed it up over 130. They are fast but the sittin position gits old being bent over.
    I was on a xb12 last year, It was like staring at the front wheel.

It had more power than you could imagine for a bike that light.

It reacts very fast to the curves.
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

That would be good for the Border patrol :D
  6. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Odds are that was the XB9R, the Firebolt sportbike. The Ulysses models have a very upright riding position, and doing 700 mile days are no issue with them.
  7. Panthera

Panthera New Member

Froggie, You must be young yet, some of us are feeling the years add up. I could not sit that long on my sportster before I put on the forward controls. It is just uncomfortable keeping my legs bent at that angle that long. Looking at the web site, though, you are right as some put you in crotch rocket mode, and some are more upright sitting.

I am not much of a fan of the racing style, but they are some nice looking bikes. It looks as though they broke out of the standard racing mode somewhat. I like a bit of originality. One of the reasons I do not like the Japanese bikes is they are trying too hard to make them look like someone else's bikes. They used to have some original designs, but now they have become just clones, and why buy a clone when you can have the original. These have a bit of individuality that is refreshing.

I see you are riding Buell. What do you think of it? Do you do a lot of long runs with it? My son wanted one when we were looking for his first bike, but I told him no, as that power, and that speed, for a beginner, could be disaster, IMHO. They look like they could be fun though.

Ride safe,
    Panthera
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I talked with an "old guy" at the dealer a few months ago, he was in getting his Ulyssesysysysys serviced. Put a ton of miles on it, said it went like stink, he could go anywhere and it's Ahmurican made.

Not long ago same dealer had new ones on sale for $7K almost bought one, be a great second bike, off road, parts chaser, or something to ride when the others needing attention..
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I like it, think its a great idea. Have to agree it would make for a really good border patrol bike.
  10. Froggy

Froggy New Member

I mostly post on Badweatherbikers.com; it’s a Buell message board. I have met many older riders with Uly's. I don't mean older like 30s, (I’m 22), but I know several that are 65+. One of them recently traded his 2006 for a 2008, and has put 10k miles on it since getting it this spring. Another old guy has had his for about 2 years now and has put 50k miles on it. I was recently reading about someone who has 94k on one, but no idea of his age.

The Ulysses is very comfortable. The bars are raised about 6" higher than the Firebolt and the pegs are roughly 3" lower. As you have seen on Buell's website, all the XB models are almost the same. Most of the parts are interchangeable. We call them the Lego Bikes. You can mix and match parts to make the bike perfect for you. Many with the Ulysses have done things like swapped bars with another Buell model to get sportier egros.

The uniqueness of Buell is what makes them appeal most to us Buell riders. The bikes are amazing. The air cooled ones are fast enough (about 140mph tops); the water cooled ones are insanely fast. They all handle great due to some of the things that make Buell’s unique like the Fuel in Frame, under slung Muffler, Oil in swing arm, single light weight perimeter front disk brake. Bike magazine in 2004 rated the Buell Firebolt #1 in a list of the top 50 cornering bikes, with the Lightning in #8. The GSXR 1000 got #48.

Another benefit of the Buell’s is the community. Erik Buell sometimes comes out to events, and I got to meet him last year and have him sign my bike.
    [​IMG]

My Lightning is my second Buell. I lost my Ulysses (the one in that picture) to a bad wreck last fall. I love both bikes; they are the best things I have ever ridden. I do lots of long rides on mine as they just love to soak up the miles.

As for a first bike, Buell has the Blast, it’s a 500cc 1 Cyl. That bike is bulletproof, been in production for 8 years now with no major changes. They have one common issue, the carburetor boot cracks causing them to run like crap. Because of that you can find one that’s not running right for cheap, and $10 later you got a good as new bike :)

I know people that have learned to ride on a XB12R Firebolt. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, as they have a lot of low end power. They are very responsive and all it takes is a little too much throttle pulling away from a light in first or second to get the front wheel off the ground.

[YOUTUBE]FP0dMGyVqTM[/YOUTUBE]

If you haven't yet, give one a ride. Preferably one with some miles on it. Once broken in they vibrate less and run smoother. I see that you’re in Wisconsin; you don't realize how lucky you are. The Buell factory is in East Troy. Every July is the homecoming celebration. Also Wisconsin has several great Buell dealers like Appleton and Hals. I will try and answer as many questions as I can about the Buell’s, but the best resource is Badweatherbikers.com

If you made it this far, thank you for reading this :)
    -Frank.