1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Bum knees

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cowboy, Mar 19, 2014.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

went to one of my Doctors yesterday for my knees , having trouble walking , after some talking & X rays & more talking on both sides , I got two shots one per knee cortazone (sp) 80 mg each enough for me to move a bit better & should be able to do the Father /Daughter Dance on 4-5-14 , after that he sent me up for the pain mangemant clintic & some happy pills for now , then said arthice (sp) is in both knees but not in any spots to move parts around to cause any pain & that's why I'am not feeling my knees ,but can feel above & below my knees , He did say if the pain place wont work replacement is next for both knees , if that comes into play just hope it's before obummer care takes a dive & I can get them done or I'll be called stumpy , But for now all is good I can still walk & lift my special needs son
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the shots helped. I hope you won't have to get surgery for them.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

You and me Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  4. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Good luck...I had the cortisone a few years back on my knee...That was only a temporary solution...Ended up going under the knife anyway...
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I just had 3 injections one a week for three weeks in my knee. It's a lubricant. It helped quite a bit. Doc didn't want to if anymore cortisone but a knee replace is in my future. Maybe next winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  6. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I'm not sure but I think you guys are in better shape with your knees than I am with my ankle. A wreck I had two years ago completely ruined one. Doc said then that arthritis would attack and it sure has. No shots will do a thing for me. It's fusion time and I just can't make myself do that yet. I'm mostly stiff ankled already but some motion. Just hate to give that up too. At least a replacement still gives you mobility.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

My dad had both replaced, walks fine, 1/2 inch taller too...

Don't put it off like he did until it was so bad that his "good knee"
    was hardly able to hold his weight to get around after having the
    bad kneed done.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good luck on it to both you guys and hope you get better. Unfortunately knee replacement will probably be the only option. Wife 85 year old mother just had one done and it has really helped her. She is on schedule to have the second one done this summer but she wants it now. My older brother was told he had to have them done many years ago but is afraid of doctors and said he won't do it. He is 70 now and can barley walk anymore. So if you need to get it done, do it as you will only get worse if you don't.
  9. cowboy

My older Brother has both replaced & doing very good for being over weight , One of my brother -in -laws had one replaced & two weeks after that took a cross country ride On his 89 E Glide with no trouble at all ,I have to go through all the motions with the docs & insurance before I can get them , but trying to move it as fast as I can
  10. joshbob

I feel for all of you with bad knees and the ankle. So far, I can still kick start my bike with no problems, but have to watch hyperextending the knee, which hurts the back side of it. Done that a few times and I limp around for a day or two.
  11. cowboy

Josh theres no way I could kick start a bike anymore with either leg , It's hard enough to hold up my soft tail , that's one of the reasons I sold the E Glide a couple years back
  12. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

I read all this and listen, then figure one thing...we are all getting old...:mad:
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

who's this "we" you be talking about kemosabe
  14. joshbob

Well, older anyway :eek:.
  15. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Old but not dead yet bucko.:p
  16. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

All a state of mind anyway...
  17. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Yup...And the older we get the longer it takes to heal...I'm going through it right now...Sux to be me and sux getting old...
  18. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I haven't really recouped from the wreck I had two years ago. Turned out I walked around with a broken leg just held together by plates for a year. Had to have bone graft which turned out to be just like crashing again. The graft took but the ankle is shot. It is all I can do some days to just walk. But if I can get to the bike and get going, the pain seems to go away for about an hour then sets in again. Short rest and I'm good for another. So I hope you heal better than me. Not too early to have a beer for you is it????
  19. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

hoping your knees hold up until you get cleared for your surgery. I'd be careful with the beer and stuff as long as you're on the pills. Getting old can be a pain but the alternative doesn't seem too appealing to me.
  20. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thoughts and prayers to ya buddy!!