1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Burbling in exhaust

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rickr01, Dec 13, 2004.

1. rickr01

rickr01 New Member

I have a stock 1998 evo with cycle shack slip fit mufflers and a dyna tuned CV carb. It runs well except for a very annoying and loud burbling or continuous popping while decelerating down long hills or grades in a downshifted mode to slow the bike down using the engine. Is this a problem or just the nature of the beast. The bike runs well otherwise, is peppy, and doesn't cough out of carb or anything. It does crank a bit to start it if it sits for more then 3 days, but warms quickly and once started, you can almost immediately push the enrichner in to half and it will run good.

Thanks for some guidence for the new guy
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I had a 1998 Fatboy that had V&H short shot exhaust, Crane fireball single fire ignition and adjustable pushrods. The Fatboy did the same thing that your describing even before I did the engine work. The problem may be that it is running on the lean side. My Fatboy always seemed to run better with the enriching knob about 1/4 inch pulled out. The other problem may be that the timing may be off a hair. All the Harleys I have owned have all popped on de-exceleration even my new 2004 Road King Classic. With V&H 2 into 1 Pro pipes. I would leave the bike alone as long as its running well. More than once I have tried to just fine tune my bike a bit better and caused more problems. As they say, if it isn't broke don't fix it. Just enjoy your ride. Ride Safe, David.
  3. gpcj7

gpcj7 New Member

Exhaust Popping

I have a 2004 Dyna Sport and it popped with stock pipes and now with a Thunderheader..although it sounds much better with TH. If you crack the throttle open just a hair on downhill decel the popping will disappear. Every HD (3 ea) I have owned has popped to some degree and I always thought it was fuel vapors being suck in while the throttle valve was close causing a rich, highly flamable mixture that would pop out of sequence with the combustion cycle of the 4 stroke engine.

I agree...just leave it alone. It's part of the ride..enjoy and BE Safe.
  4. rickr01

rickr01 New Member

Thank You

Thank You for the responses, and the welcome. l look forward to visiting and chatting often!

Rick ;)
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Try adding fuel it may be lean, one size larger on the pilot jet.
  6. mikeps

mikeps New Member

new to this site

:confused:
    i have just purchased a 2003 AIH "OUTLAW" with 2300 miles. it has an eninge upgrade and has between 120 - 140 hp, 129 hp at the rear wheel. it will be 2 years old Feb 2005, so it has not been ridden much. my problem is; it is very rough running and coughs and back fires at RPM's less than 2500. any suggestions on what might be the problem?

thanks
    mike