1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

California registration

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ctd, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ctd

ctd New Member

I'm new with Harley's. It's been 30yrs since I've ridden. I just purchased a '01 Sportster from Texas, having it trucked to California. Using Daily Direct (anyone previously used this company?) to my home town. Are there any issues I'll run into trying to register it in California I should be aware of? It has Screaming Eagle exhaust system otherwise stock. Thanks
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

CA has different emissions requirements only thing I can think of is the exhaust and hds have a charcoal canister to catch emissions, might have to pop on some stock pipes and ca emission parts. then take them off and put the se back on after registration
  3. ctd

ctd New Member

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was kind of afraid of, I wonder if they require an inspection. Mmmm. Why the one state I live in has to be different, just lucky I guess
  4. SK

SK New Member

I'm not sure you need to put stock stuff back on, though it won't hurt. There's no smog cert needed, so it won't have to go through an emissions check. California requires a used vehicle from out of state to have 7500 miles on it, or it can't be registered there. They probably will ask how much you paid for it, maybe having to show a receipt in order to tax you on it.
  5. ctd

ctd New Member

I just came off the Calif. DMV site and I am really upset from what I've read. It basically says Calif. considers ANY vehicle or MOTORCYCLE with 7500mi. or less as "NEW" and must be California Emissions Certified. They go on to say, a Federally approved (i.e. 49 state vehicle) cannot be modified to become California certified. Further, they state they will not register it, nor can I sell it here. What a load of poop.

I'm at a loss for what to do now, the bike has low mi. on it at the moment and the title reflects that. Yikes. ANY ideas?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
  6. SK

SK New Member

Take a long trip soon! I was afraid you were going to come back and say that. Maybe you can find a friend or relative out of state you know where you can register it for a year. That's what I did before I moved from Sacramento area to Las Vegas permanently. I registered all my bikes and truck here while still living in California. Of course..I'd gone up and gotten a driver's license in Reno using a Las Vegas address long before I left California too (sure helped with residency for going to school here).
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  7. ctd

ctd New Member

If I register it for a year in another state, it would give me time to get mileage on it IF I never get pulled over:) I do have relatives in a couple of different states, it's a thought for sure. Thanks
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would start putting a lot of miles on it within the next year. Keep a receipt with no date on it so you can fill in a date when you do go in and register it. They don't know when you purchased it. Good Luck
  9. ctd

ctd New Member

The previous owner dated the title, so I'm unable to get that many miles on it that quick. The State of Calif. has their legislative head where the sun doesn't shine for sure.
  10. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

How many miles are on it? Does the registry even look at the bike or is it an inspection station that looks at it? In MA, I've never had the registry question the mileage on a vehicle. Put a mini gauge on and lie about the mileage. There is no way they can tell what the mileage is after the speedo has been changed out. I don't normally condon lieing except when it comes to the government and the police. :D

I have a 97 Sporty that has had three speedos. There are about 12K miles on the bike but the speedo says about 5K.

By the way....It's for sale at winter prices if anyone is interested. ;)
  11. ctd

ctd New Member

I'm below the 7500mi. threshold the State considers a "New" vehicle. They want the bike to be brought to the agency in person for inspection of the odometer, VIN, and any emission related equipment. This state is so anal about checking every last item, it is really annoying; paper work us to death. It's enough to make a person move to avoid some of the legislative b.s. Thanks for the reply
  12. CD

CD Guest

You got that right. The problem is that for some weird reason the vast majority of other states seem to think that CA knows WTF it is doing! The Frickin, Frackin EPA must be all CA plants because they follow CA like little ducklings. Just what it is I don't know. I do know that when I fly over for business or to visit, I cannot wait to cross that border back into AZ.

Maybe it's all those "stars" that pontificate from their perches telling the believers what to think. BTW, I'm still waiting for Alec and Barbara to leave the country...

Maybe if we got 100,000 jack hammers, 10 gazillion sticks 'o dynamite we could blow that sucker far enough out into the pacific for it to be it's own country? :D
  13. SK

SK New Member

What..you want some oceanfront property? ;)