1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

California

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

California is broke and they need yer money.

They got more laws than they need anyway.

Yer buddy ain't signed much since he has been in office from what I've heard.
    Wish y'all luck.
    Need to find out who is wanting the law passed that is probaly a mayor and vote them out of office.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Congresswoman in Calif wants it.
    Said shes tired of trying to have a coffee outside
    at a restaurant and having some idiot pass by revving
    his loud motorcycle pipes.

We've done it to ourselves by riding around with super loud pipes, rapping them
    at lights, people are just over it. Too many voters..

If you want to see how it came about click here

Loud Motorcycles
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Screw Calif. to many Nancy bitches down there, to bad all the good ones couldn't move to a safe spot and the rest of it break off and sink into the ocean. Sure as heck get rid of a big illegal alien population that way.

Calif. is broke because of all the blood sucking illegals and those sucking the system dry from welfare. :rant:
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I clicked on the link and I got punted to comedy central. Is that the F word episode of South Park? I got a chuckle out of that one. You are bang on about the public getting fed up with noisy bikes. Calgary is looking at a noise bylaw Edmonton is putting one in place. There are a lot of roosters out there making a bunch of noise for nothing. I had one fellow tell me my bike didn't sound like a Harley. Eh? rides and sounds enough like a harley for me..been doing this for a while was my reply. I've been thru the strong motor [erp engine :) ]thunderheader..loved it ran great sounded great but I found I was short shifting the engine trying to keep the peace with the neighbors. While I still like strong engines I'm trying to figure out how to get there using stock mufflers..tough balance. I almost think the smogger 103 is enough for me.
  6. FLHTbiker

That is why I like V&H Monster ovals, fairly quiet yet loud enough when you need them to be.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  7. steveb

steveb Active Member

I agree that we have done this to ourselves. Everytime I go on a HOG ride there is always 1 or 2 guys that think louder is cooler .They ride like the more noise they cam make the better. It is almost embarassing to be on the ride with them because their bikes are damm loud. just make sure you don't end up behind them. I also put the V&H monster ovals on and I think they are great , never wake the neighbors up at 5:30 AM when I go to work. When I am out on open road and get on it a little they sound great . But there are many that like to be noticed with straight pipes and they will mess it up for the rest.
  8. FLHTbiker

Your so right Steveb, went on a chapter ride once and one rider purposely revved his pipes up and scared a herd of cattle who all went running across a large field. He thought it was great fun but the rancher was really pissed. You try and explain it and they just don't get it. Its those kind of things that make the loud pipe issue a reality in cities and states. Maybe there should be a limit on the noise but man, stock pipes just don't get it.

I also think those sport riders with that horrible sounding aftermarket exhaust is worse than straight pipes.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep the one where they call harley riders fags it's friggin hilarious
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Marc, that guy in your hog chapter that did that should be shot and pissed on. What a donkey, he's doing his best to make sure you're putting stock pipes put back on your bike. If he tried that stunt up in northern alberta scaring cattle he'd more than likely get a load of buckshot fired his way, people have been shot at for less.
  11. FLHTbiker

Yep Bob he should have been shot. We were lucky that none of the cattle were injured. There was a article written up in our chapter newsletter about being considerate when out around farm animal.
    We get a lot of people riding there horses along the side of the street so really got to be careful when riding past them. I usually always pull the clutch in and coast past them.
    My V&H Fishtails on my Springer are a bit loud and I really have to be careful when riding it. I've got another set of pipes here that I've been thinking of putting on it.
  12. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Marc, I got no quarrel with performance exhaust. we heard HRK's vid on his breakfast ride...rode the bike real civilized in the parking lot..that's great, shows a little respect for the environment he's in. there are a lot of ranches up this way and the right thing to do is be intelligent and not scare the livestock, It's not cool and not too bright either if you choose not to ride that way. My rule of thumb for pipes is, if i'm spending the majority of the time short shifting the bike and therefore lugging it and likely not doing the motor any good by riding it that way i'm better off getting a quieter exhaust and riding the bike the way that it should be ridden..that's where I'm at but that's just me.
  13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I am running with V&H LS Slipons on my Softail, I think we all know how loud these can be. Mine are fitted with baffles which does lower the noise to a point. There are many other pipes which are far more loud.

Things I do not so.
    Open the throttle on neighbourhood streets
    Blip
    Scare livestock
    Act like an an ....

It is really easy to be offensive. It is equally easy not to be.
  14. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Arnold loves motorcycles. I think we all know that. I read a few years back that he legalized ape hangers several inches (not sure how many) above the shoulders. His term is due to run out so I am pretty certain he will slip this bill in the trash. The next Governor .... who knows.

I will say this, California is not the only state with noise bills like this.

I got V&H ovals (not the monster ovals). I love that sound. I don't want any louder and I don't want any softer. I hate when other motorcycles pass me and I didn't hear them coming. Scares the **** out of me. It is a lot safer for everyone to hear them coming.

Loud pipes save lives, but too loud just pisses people off. :rant:
  15. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

I think I am still the only one with stock pipes. I live in a townhouse development and when I get in late at night I prefer not to wake everyone up. One thing I like with the stock pipes is that I don't have to wear ear plugs when I ride.
  16. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got Supertrapp Supermeg 2in1 with like 26 disc.
    When I come in I idle so I don't make as much noise.

At least I try.
    Its a Harley give me a break, I ain't walkin on cut glass.
    Folks has radios as loud as my pipes.:rant:
  17. FLHTbiker

Cardboard, your like me, its a Harley. You don't have to rev the pipes when you come home. For me I got pretty steep driveway so I got to give it a bit of throttle to get up it. Still I try and not make a bunch of noise if its late.
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Got a buddy with a roadking with the 95 in kit & stright fish tails & he love's to rap out those dam pipes , it's so bad if the wife goes for a ride she will ask if he's going & if she wont go , even his own wife were's ear plugs , Hell you can here him comming about 1/2 mile away :eek:
  19. FLHTbiker

My Springer V&H fishtails are loud if I really get on it but nothing like straight pipes are. I still don't sit there and rap the pipes just to make noise. Some people have no clue..You ever try to explain it to him.
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

OH ya we have all ask him to settle them dam pipes & he just says he like them & that's that His bike has the ext warrenty & his HD dealer does all the work no matter what it is & he's on engine # 3 via warrenty , The last time I talked to him he did say his warrenty is about up so just maybe he'll settle down with his rapping pipes I gutted some stock pipes but put the big city baffles in there & they have a good sound to me but are kinda loud , but I can still here my radio up to about 75-80 mph