1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam bearings

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cowboy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

On my 03 E glide what's the difference in the stock & after market cam bearings ? did the moco still have timkin bearing in the 03 models ? I have'nt had time to realy call a dealer to find out ,I'am trying to get ready to change my cam tenesions (sp) with 57 K miles on them & never been opened ,
  2. duke76

duke76 New Member

Stock on the inner is INA, replace it with a torrington B-148 it has twice as many rollers, the stock INA has a spacer in between each roller,when I took mine apart the bearing was blue, didnt have to many miles left in her, so no you dont have timkens that I am aware of at least not for the inner cam bearings, I believe the outer ones are OK unless they are the 99 style which then should be replaced but I guess as long as you are in there you may also want to replace them, up to you, Todd
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

1) replace them
    2) Torrington
    3) if confused see Item 1 :roflmao:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hrk.......agreed!!
  5. cowboy

Thank's guys now to get some of the honey do list out of the way so I can start my list :roflmao:
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

when you get your honey do list finished let us know how you done it:roflmao:
  7. chucktx

no kidding, i got one of those lists bout' 30 years ago.....still havent gotten to the bottom of it.............:banghead:
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

No one ever does:gah: :banghead:
  9. cowboy

i've never been cought up & after a bit over 35 years guess I never will as she has them all make as #1 on her list :eek: so I get a coulpe of them done & say I need to do this or that for my bike & or old Dodge truck , it's called sucking up to the boss :roflmao:
  10. fstfwd55

fstfwd55 New Member

good morning...only sixty days til official spring. this isn't really a reply..more a question. recently some work was done to my 99 RK tc88. while checking my cam assembly etc..for wear at 32k I opted to go with an upgrade to s&s 510 camswith four gears, a SE support plate and supposedly a high flow oil pump. though I requested a SE Race-Tuner..I was told that one for 99 was not available. Power Commander was used instead. then came the beginning of the end. during dyna tuning the lower end of the bike seized exploded and basically turned my once smooth and excellent running machine into pile of junk. my thoughts are the Power Commander's inability to tune that ecm. but that they just kept trying til...pooof. any thoughts...?
  11. chucktx

crank runout wasnt checked and it was too much. the excessive runout wiped out the oilpump and everything else in the camcase........ya got to know what is happening when changing to gear drives..........
  12. cowboy

yep what chuck said who ever did the lower end messed up sorry to here about you horror story
  13. fstfwd55

fstfwd55 New Member

gentlemen...thanks for the reply(s) that is also one of the explanations I have been offered. run-out on the pinion gear/shaft etc was another. but the story gets better. after 4 monthes(not enough space here to tell the whole story) of delays and further f-ups...the day I went to pick up the bike..cause "it's ready.." they still couldn't get the Power Commander to respond...repeatedly triggering false engine diagnostic reads and causing the the engine light in my speedo to stay on... I then jumped in and found a HD Racetuner at a HD dealership drove three hours RT to get it. they plugged it in dyna'd the bike and three hours I later drove it away. note: the lower end of this bike still has nasty rap to it that seems to come and nearly go..depends on the type of ride I took that day i.e. highway or back roads...I put about 500 miles on the bike...and parked it in the corner of my garage(RIP). bought a low mileage 01 RK carb(no more efi for me) bike on ebay(no faith in my 99s ability to make the whole trip) and took 3500 mi jaunt thru RI NY PENN and OH to a FD Bike convention in Sandusky. 59 more days...