1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cam Choice

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Now that I think that I have jetting right, I have this nagging feeling that I am going to want to change my cams out. I keep hearing that having over .500" lift is key to make power. Well, I do not have over .500" lift so I am seriously considering on making the change.

I have looked into two different cams so far, which are the Woods W8s and the SE .536" lift Sportster cams. As of now I am leaning towards the SE cams because I am not a fan of having a noisy valve train and of course because I am looking for reliability and am not sure if the Woods can provide the longevity that is so important to me.

Looking forward to all input.. Thanks...
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Go with the Knight Prowler Cams, won't be able to keep the rubber on the back tire.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Are those the ones by Kuryakan or are the the Wild Things??
  4. FLHTbiker

Oh come now JB, look em up on the world wide web. :rolleyes:
  5. JohnnyBiker

Just looked, and Thanks, but that is a Woods cam and not the way that I want to go.:mad:
  6. FLHTbiker

Woods cams are the best, they set the standards for the rest to follow.
  7. JohnnyBiker

That is what I hear and after having a personal conversation with Bob, I would agree. However I do not think that what is available for my bike is really suitable for the street. Not only that, but those cams are just friggen expensive...
  8. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

well more lift is going to give you more cylinder fill more fuel and air means more cylinder pressure make sure you choose a cam with proper duration . you have 10.5 to 1 compresion so you dontwant a cam that has to short of a duration . and cause ping under heavy load if your looking to get an anwser on a forum as what cam to choose for an application of your bike your pissin inn the wind . ask your engine builder or the folks at bishop that got your set up what they think and what the installed height of the springs and seat pressure the new cam you choose will require. and see if your valve train set up you have now will work with the new cams . you want a cam that puts down the valve on the seat soft . fast ramp cams are noisey . heavy valve train also with a fast ramp cams are noisey . and your 5/16 valves are heavy . and so are the retainers in those se heads . do lots of research on the cams!!! bigger aint all ways better . im at 498 -508 with short duration and low compression and made 27 horse over the stock cams and 29 foot pounds of torque over stock? and i only did the bowls and short turns on the heads . the prowler is a very nice cam but they do tend to be a little on the noisey side . i dont know if mike rolland had a cam ground for the sporty motor ? did you check the web at kurayakan ? you know andrews ground the cams for mike rolland at kurayakan .
  9. JohnnyBiker

Mike Rolland, that is who I was trying to think of. Yes, I did look at Kuryakan and I didn't see anything there for the Sportster. Just the TC. As far as my heads go, I do have the beehive springs and all of the goodies in them already. Funny that you mention Bishops as I did talk to them a while ago and they said that the Woods w8s would be too much for the street and like mentioned, noisy.. I know that bigger is not always better so that is why I, to an extent threw the Woods cams out as a possibility.

This thread is a success already because for the life of me I could not think of who it was that you mentioned that one time over the phone. thanks BP.:cool:
  10. baggerpaul

he is quite the brain when it comes to power out of a harley motor he knows how to do it very nice man and ya might want to give him a call he will get on the phone with ya . if he did not desighn a cam for the sporty he will know who to talk to and might steer ya the correct way.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JB bigger isn't always better
    You could drop a 640 cam in there
    but you'd be breaking valve springs
    floating valves at high rpms without some serious head
    work and new valves and springs to handle the lift.

You have to find out what the max lift the springs will allow
    safely to run with your heads.

Also if you put in say a 600 lift cam but your
    heads stop flowing sufficient air at 550 then the extra
    cam lift is unused as the heads can't pull in the air/fuel
    they need in order to take advantage of the extra .050 lift
    over 550 so nothing is happening past the max flow.

Lots of things need to be considered when you get out
    of "bolt in" stuff.

Bigger can even lose you bottom end power
    for top end if you get to far out on duration

Now a sporty is a light bike so you can get away with more
    lift and duration (soggy bottom, strong upper rpm cam)
    not withstanding LSA, etc.

Best to get with Kirby and talk heads and cams
    and a match that will max the performance for
    your given parts.

it's about the combo not the individual parts..
  12. JohnnyBiker

:banghead::banghead: I give up......:banghead::banghead:
  13. FLHTbiker

Or you could just leave it alone and ride it for awhile.
  14. baggerpaul

thats two guys givin you the same answer you wanted advise you got it my brother. on cams that is
  15. JohnnyBiker

I have been riding it the way it is now for 2 years and I need to do something different now. I will only change the cams if I do not get what I want for power considering a better tuned carb and better pipes. Like I said in the opening post, I just have a feeling that I am going to disappointed by what the dyno is going to tell me. I hope that is not the case, but I am preparing.
  16. baggerpaul

have you gone back to the dyno with the new pipes yet .? and i see you said you got the carb air fuel corrected as well how did you make out?
  17. baggerpaul

never mind the post ! i got my answer
  18. FLHTbiker

With the recent modifications of pipes and the new jet I would do the Dyno, check it out, ride it for a while to see how you like it. If still not good then look at other options. But wouldn't jump in to fast.
  19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You just need to see where you are now.

Get the specs on the heads and optimize for them with the cam

Again you need to know what lift those valve springs can handle and flow numbers then work the cam back
    Then compression test to see what you have in cyl. You could drop in a big cam that needs 10 to 1 comp to work. If you are at 9 to 1. Then you have to change pistons gaskets deck heads etc to get to 10 to 1 or the change is worthless. Expensive but not going to get results

Have your Indy do a comp test get psi on cyl. See if you are even where you should be for the se heads and cams in there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. JohnnyBiker

I agree with all of the above.. Dyno soon... Once I get to fee;omg better anyways. :(