1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

can the muffler be gutted

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ironhorse, Oct 3, 2006.

1. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I was setting here reading about pipes, headers, oil, and wives. and I was thinking about slip ons for my flhxi, looked at some rinharts pretty nice sound v/h not bad ethier, but slipons will probably be in my justifacation to price ratio. But when I was a pup I increased the sound of my cherrybombs (on a 48 flat head f-1) a couple differant ways , one was by running it hard then shoving a garden hose and shoving it up the tailpipe the other way was to gut the muffler as to get the sound but when barney fife checked, the muffler was there. has there been any success in gutting stock pipes, is it worth the experamentation or has some one else already tried this?
  2. CD

CD Guest

It's been done many times. The problem is, the only thing you gain is noise. I would save some coin and get some good slip on mufflers. Cycle Shack makes great mufflers at a good price point.
  3. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

ironhorse, if u gut your mufflers and its way to loud check out BIG CITY THUNDER.com (thunder monster baffles) i run them on my 04 low rider which has V&H BIG RADIUS pipes, gives it a great sound and helped a ton on the low to mid range. i also have a new 07 ROAD KING SCREAMIN EAGLE with the 110ci, i just ordered another set of the thunder monster baffels to install in the stock pipes and mufflers. i'm going to take the stock baffels out of the mufflers have the insides smoothed out so u can see from one end to the other then reinstall them back into the muffler, then if johnny law stops u the baffels are there. this bike has the closed loop system with efi so i will also install the V&H FUEL PAK. the biggest reason i'm doing this is that this RK has these huge mufflers (cannons) sticking out the back and no after market muffler or pipes looks as good.

LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Like CD said Cycle Shack and Khrome Werks make inexpensive slip on mufflers, no reason to gut stock pipes because the test show no gain but noise. Might even hurt low end power, and stockers don't have much to begin with.