1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Can you even imagine doing this

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Feb 16, 2014.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I know about pulling a trailer as I have pulled one myself but these Goldwing people take it to the extreme. This was posted on a friends Goldwing site here in Portland. Wonder how long his clutch will last. Put the OL and all your camping and personal gear in there plus the weight of that side car and oversized trailer and its gotta be well over 2000 pounds. Poor bike.

image.jpg
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

1) A sidecar bike is work. Fun on the straight aways but a bitch in the corners especially if the corners are coming down a mountain
    2) Never pulled a trailer, not sure I'd want that feeling either. If a sidecar jiggles a bike oddly I am sure a trailer must do the same thing. Its a weird feeling.
    3) doing both...to me thats just asking for trouble.

To each his own.
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Might as well drive a cage.
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  4. FLHTbiker

Pulling a trailer is not at all that bad, but not one that big. One our trip from the west coast to WA DC a couple years ago I pulled a trailer to carry my tent and other stuff. Could hardly even tell it was there most of the time. But, doing it like the Goldwinger like in this photo I think Josh is right, take a car.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That looks to be a European tag on the bike, might be on holiday...

Have to consider too, guy riding might not be able to hold bike up or use legs so he needs the trike, just pulls the thing for events.

1800 GL has a lot of power...

Wonder if the front tire on the sidecar
    turns with the front bike wheel...

Never see a sidecar with two wheels on one side.
  6. FLHTbiker

The picture was taken of a guy on his bike here is Oregon. That's an Oregon motorcycle license plate. It may be a 1800 Goldwing but there is even a limit to what they can pull. Good thing they have a hydraulic clutch on them. He needs that sidecar to give him stability otherwise that trailer would pull him over.
    I agree get a trike.
  7. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Looks like fun on a windy day...
  8. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Being an ex sidecar pilot that sidecar rig will be a total butch to turn probably impossible with that extra sidecar wheel up front. Think about it. Especially a right turn against the side friction of they tire. It better turn with the bikes front tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2