1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Car tire on a motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Sep 8, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Somebody I know that has a 07 Deuce bought this tire, he is having it out on friday.
    I'm not for sure about this one.
    It gits over 50,000 on a bike.
    How does it handle curves????????????????:banghead:

The Dark Side
  2. cardboard

3. cardboard

4. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Not something I would try - watched a couple of videos after that - the one of the DRAGON was good and about what most people are bitchin about - no wonder the LEO's are all over that place. Was down there last year and tryed it but this year I found a lot better roads to run in the same area - without the nuts.
  5. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I actually know someone that did the same thing, also on a Valkyrie. He claims it handles fine but from what the guy in the video said in the first post, it sounds like it takes some getting used to pushing it through corners. I don't know. I'll stick with a motorcycle tire myself. I don't go through as many as the guy in the video say he does.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

interesting...............gonna do a bit of research on this!!
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The only bike I would want to put a car tire on is a trike front wheel. They don't lean and the tires are flat and don't wear in the center like a motorcycle tire does.
  8. cardboard

I could probaly call Bob, he was gonnna git Bert to mount it today and let him ride down to yer house and show it to you chucktx............:D
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

send him down!!!!!!!!
  10. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

It's your life....:(
  11. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

There are several guys that run car tires around here. The first one that I noticed was about ten years ago, he was a long time rider with three bikes. He installed the car tire on a spare bike in hopes that he would dominate the slow ride competitions. It was a logical thought but it didn’t give him the advantage that he hoped for. He caught so much flack for the dangers of running a car tire that he started riding the spare bike most of the time just to stir the pot (not unlike many of the BT members). Now if you ask him if that is a car tire his response is ”if that is a car tire then there would be three more just like it, do you want me to help you count them?”
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

back in the late 60 early 70's we ran the 15 tire from the VW bugs & worked good ,look's like this guy here has a newer bike that holds the wider tire
  13. cardboard

The dude I know that was gonna put a car tire on his deuce.

Well it wouldn't fit.

And he was complainin it threw stick on weights off.
    Come to find out when the Indy dude was gonna put his old tire back on it was a 17" metzler on a 16" rim, and he complained about how it rode and the milage he got out of the tire.

Dang..............
  14. cowboy

they must have worked rel hard to put air in the bigger tire on a smaller rim , Is he doing to many burn out's on the metz, or not keeping up with the right air presure? as I get real good milage from my metz tire's :cool:
  15. cardboard

He said he ordered a front and rear tire and got Dunlops.

He ain't gonna listen to what I have to say..............

He was gonna put a car tire on a motorcycle cause he heard you could git 50,000 out of it.
    I told him if I was him i'd put the bike up for sale and put the money in the bank...............:cussing:
  16. cowboy

depends on what delops he got , I don't like them & havent got any good milage from them stock HD type My brother put metz on his 98 ultra for the first time over the summer & rode to canada from Alb NM & said he wonders why he wated so long to listen to his younger brother :D
  17. cardboard

I got it backwards as usual, when he went to the dealer he had a 16" tire on a
    17" rim,
    The car tire trick didn't work out for him.
  18. Tomflhrci98

:banghead::banghead:

:rant::rant:

When I first read this post I got really irritated, so much so that I couldn’t even respond rationally. I've calmed down enough to say that I think putting a car tire on a motorcycle is one of the stupidest things I have read in the whole 6 years I have been on this forum. I know it has been done in the past but that was many years ago before all the years and thousands of hours of testing and engineering that goes into motorcycle tires and automotive tires.

Even when you look at the one video Cardboard but a link to you can tell two things right off the bat. The first, is how the bike ends up on the smallest portion of the tire when leaning into a turn and when you need the friction to stay alive the most, and second, the forces on that tire edge are pushing 180 degrees in the opposite direction from how that tire was designed.

I think this is a very irresponsible thread to continue without at least one comment against it. I sure hope nobody tries this after reading this thread.

The smartest thing that was said in this thread was by Cardboard “He was gonna put a car tire on a motorcycle cause he heard you could git 50,000 (miles)out of it. I told him if I was him i'd put the bike up for sale and put the money in the bank...........”

For the people riding around right now with car tires on their motorcycles ... well.... maybe this is how Darwin’s evolution works……..
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Tom, as I said in an earlier post their are people who put a certain car tire on the front of their wing or Harley trikes. There is a reason they do that and it is because there is no lean with a trike like on a two wheeler. The tire then wears better and the control is better. Plus you get longer life on a front tire. I agree on a two wheeler it is not the smartest thing you can do using a car tire on a two wheeler because you loose the contact patch that you need when cornering. If car tires where meant for 2 wheelers then we would all be using them.
  20. Tomflhrci98

FLHTbiker,

Yup, I did catch that and that makes sense. I always wondered how the front tire wears on a trike.

I just wanted to emphasize again how dumb it would be to but a car tire on a two wheeler like you said - to make sure people who read this don't get the wrong idea.

Thanks,