1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

carb cough

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by beau44, Jul 1, 2006.

1. beau44

beau44 New Member

I have a 1980 FX, 80 incher, stock Keihn carb with an andrews pump on it, the bike has a Sifton cam in it but not sure what the number is, also has 2 in drags with a bolt and washer baffle in each pipe. I get a cough out of the carb when running down the road, its a nuisance, have checked the idle mix and all but nothing seems to correct it, planning on an S&S this winter but if anyone has an idea shoot me a line.

ride safe all and take care
  2. aaron

aaron New Member

What jets are you running?
    Both main and intermediate. It sounds to me like the intermediate jet may be a bit too lean.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it sounds ALOT like a lean mix.......
    chuck
  4. beau44

beau44 New Member

not sure

Not sure what size they are, will have to get back to ya, jus know that the main size was suggested by a bro who has his own shop and works on a lot of scoots, both new and old, his is a ole pan he rides everyday, never have changed the intermdiate jet, lol, jus took the carb off today and didnt even look
  5. joejoe3

joejoe3 New Member

Mine was doing the same thing, but a rejet and hight flow air cleaner took care or it.
  6. beau44

beau44 New Member

I upped the pilot jet two sizes, from a 74 to a 76 , that took care of the problem, already have a freer flowing air filter , thanks for the reply