1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb fines Dynojet

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jan 7, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Thought you might want to hear this.

CARB fines Dynojet Research (Power Commander)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) announced recently that it concluded an investigation against Dynojet Research, Inc. At issue was the company's "Power Commander" that can be used to alter the air-fuel mixture and engine timing of on- and off-road motorcycles. CARB said that the installation of these devices would adversely affect the emissions control systems of vehicles that were certified by the original equipment manufacturers to comply with the agency's emissions standards. Dynojet has now certified a California version of the "Power Commander" and has agreed to pay $1,000,000 in penalties to the California Air Pollution Control Fund.
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

:rant: that just :puke:
  3. lowryder

lowryder New Member

California Air board

Those boys are picky! They do rasie the bar for all to a higher standar. At least you can use it in all 50 states if california likes it!

Puff puff! :rant:
  4. cardboard

Don't know why you would buy a California model if it don't do anything the factory ECM won't do man.

Subject Top Page: Enforcement Program Case Settlements

The Mobile Source Enforcement Section along with the Office of Legal Affairs has completed its investigation against Dynojet Research, Inc. located in Las Vegas, Nevada. Dynojet was manufacturing an after market part called the "Power Commander" that would alter the air-fuel mixture and the timing on off and on road motor vehicles. By installing the Power Commander this would alter or modify the original design of the motor vehicle and would affect the emission control systems that were certified by the manufacture through ARB. As part of the settlement it was agreed between both parties that Dynojet would not violate the Health and Safety Code with respect to the installation, sale, offer for sale or advertising of any device in California intended for use with, or as part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system. Dynojet has now certified a California version of the Power Commander that is legal for sale and use on California motor vehicles. Dynojet also paid penalties in the amount of $1,000,000 to the California Air Pollution Control Fund as part of the settlement.
  5. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

I just put a PCIIIUSB non-California on mine a few weeks ago. If they decide to do tests here in Calif. I'll take it off for the tests. The California special from dynojet doesn't allow mods in a certain range is the difference.
  6. 02dyna

02dyna New Member

Why did they single out dynojet? What about the other companys products that do the same thing? Who is next?
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i dont know that answer, but maybe the others sell a calif specific model.....and the customer will be liable if the incorect unit is installed..?????
  8. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

This is what I found in addition to Dynojet. Harley dealers were fined also.

$100,000 in Fines Paid by Dobeck
    This page updated october 17,2007

DOBECK PERFORMANCE CASE SETTLEMENT FOR $100,000

In August 2007, the Mobile Source Enforcement Section along with the Office of Legal Affairs completed an investigation and settlement with Techlusion, Inc., dba Dobeck Performance, located in Belgrade, Montana. Dobeck was manufacturing aftermarket “Fuel Management Products” that would alter the air-fuel mixture and the ignition timing for on-road and off-road motor vehicles. These fuel management parts were not exempted by ARB pursuant to Title 13, CCR section 2222 or Title 13, CCR section 2474. The installation of these parts would alter or modify the original design of the motor vehicle and would affect the emission control systems that were certified by the manufacture through ARB. As part of the settlement, Dobeck agreed to not install, sell, offer for sale or advertise in California, any device intended for use with, or as part of, any required motor vehicle pollution control device or system which alters or modifies the original design or performance of any such motor vehicle pollution control device or system unless it has first received an exemption from ARB. Dobeck is paying penalties in the amount of $100,000.00 to the California Air Pollution Control Fund.
  9. cardboard

10. cardboard

11. cardboard

12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

im still waiting for california to fall off into the pacific.......actually just the lawmakers........
  13. cardboard

Thundermax has this on their unit.

Installation / Setup Guide
    Please Note: This product is Legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a highway. The user shall determine suitability of the product for his or her use. Installation and use on a pollution-controlled vehicle constitutes tampering under the U.S. EPA guidelines and can lead to substantial fines and penalties. Review your application and check your local laws before installing.
    Step 2a Unplug the ECM wiring harness from
  14. Brandersnatch

Brandersnatch New Member

Land of the free? We're fairly lucky here in the UK at the moment although if things continue the way they are we'll be following you soon. In London there is a £8 congestion charge for cars. The mayor, a git called Ken Livingstone is introducing a £25 charge for high emissions vehicles. When did the congestion charge become an environmental tax? Even though I don't drive a car in London I still hate that man with a passion! Who is he to dictate what car people should drive? And don't get me started on the bendy buses!:rant:

Attached Files:

15. cardboard

Sounds like the people need to vote him out of office along with the people behind the tax. Looks like Brother Al Gore has been to London too.
    The only way we can meet the EPA guidlines for 2050 is to quit driving a car and git a bicycle. If every person had a hybrid car right now we wouldn't meet the 2050 EPA emmissions that are set. YOU will have to live like the folks in India.
    Now how many folks could take a bicycle everwhere.
  16. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

No wonder Cali is bankrupt and businesses are leaving the state like rats off a sinking ship. My guess is that the people in power own a good piece of the products the EPA is pushing, (like that boondoggle called a NOX device. That company was owned by the then governer's (Jerry Brown) father}. As corrupt as the state government is they may as well let Mexico annex the state. Al
  17. mikewoodward48

mikewoodward48 New Member

That's Y I don't live in calf any more.To much BS
  18. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

ALL THE MORE REASON NOT TO LIVE IN CALI. BUT PLEASE MOVE TO ANOTHERE PLACE BESIDES WASH. WE DON'T MIND YOUR BUSINESS BUT PLEASE LEAVE YOUR POLITICS. ACTUALLY I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I'M MOVEING 20 MORE MILES EAST INTO IDAHO WHERE THE LAND OF THE FREE STILL HAS SOME MEANING, AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK OUT I'LL GO ALITTLE FURTHER TO MONTANA:roflmao:
  19. Brandersnatch

Brandersnatch New Member

Election this year, here's hoping.
  20. Ultra Al

Ultra Al New Member

Sportsterboy, I spent a lot of time working in Colorado and they had a very bad opinion of us Texans mostly due to the folks who went up there hunting elk and once away from home became drunken a$$holes with high powered rifles. Well now that Colorado has become Califoricated and the politics are starting to set in (no smoking in privately owned bars, no public display of Christmas decorations (thats right! in Ft. Collins!) etc; they have decided us drunk Texans ain't so bad after all.LOL. I've never been to Idaho, Montana is great in the summer but the winters are treacherous. Now, if Nevada would only get rid of that damn helmet law with all the public land and no state income tax, oh well, guess there are a lot worse places than West Texas. AL