1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb issue

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by fxdflh, Dec 3, 2011.

1. fxdflh

fxdflh New Member

Hi all, appreciate a little education on a cv 40, which resides on my 1994 FXDS. I replaced my slide diaphram as I suspected it was the solution to my loss of power issue. Lifted tank, un screwed cover and low and behold, must have been pinched when the chrome cover was put on, and 3 years later its torn pretty good. Replaced it properly, bike blows black smoke (rich fuel I assume) now. Can't get it to idle either rich or lean. Runs great ay certain mixtures at 4K rpm but not below. Bike is on lift. Suggestions? I'm not a carb guy so english is appreciated! Thanks!:cussing:
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I guess I am a little curious on something. What caused you to look at the diaphragm all of a sudden?
  3. fxdflh

fxdflh New Member

Wasn't a sudden thing. Bike sat for a three weeks to a month and when I rode it semmed to have a slight loss of power. Thought maybe I was getting used to the Softy sine I just bought it. Rode the Dyna again a week later, and def noticed the power loss. I asked a friend of mine possible causes of the type of loss of power, we both after riding the bike thought it was carb, not timing. He suggested it, I found it. He's been unavailable for a while, hence my asking here, and I don't like to just drop my bike off and have it fixed. I like to know whats wrong and how to fix it, or at least be able to eliminate possible problems. Carbs are the only repair I've ever had issues with. I do my own paint, chrome R&R of parts. Bike never blew smoke at all before diaphram replacement. Ideas?
  4. fxdflh

fxdflh New Member

BTW the only fuel related change on bike was installing a vacuum operated petcock valve 2 years ago. I put a T in to obtain the vac to the valve. Never had an issue. Exhaust is the same, no changes....
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

when you reinstalled the slide ya prob put the needle inside the spring retainer hole insted of the slide diaphram . proper assembly 1 slide in carb 2 neddle 3 plastic spring retainer , 4 spring , 5 cover . if the needle was placed on top of plastic spring retainer it is now allowing fuel to be pulled from the main jet at idle thus running full rich , very comon mistake welcome to having your cherry poped .!!! lol;)
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did the same shiit!!! Easy fix. :D
  7. baggerpaul

YA BUT YA WONT DO IT AGAIN ! CHERRY POPED!!! :cool:
  8. fxdflh

fxdflh New Member

...........I'll let you know.......lol
  9. fxdflh

fxdflh New Member

I had assembled it correctly. What I did not do, was drill the 1/8th hole for the needle. Put it all back together, wouldnt start at all. Puled the plugs, brush cleaned on the bench grinder and it fired right up. Problem fixed. Next up, the cam bearing and gears.......Thanks!
  10. baggerpaul

That hole you drilled did not fix any thing you just made a factory hole bigger . Cleaning yhe plugs maybe fixed the poor spark condition. You may find that drilling the slide was a poor idea ! For some it works for other folks it gives them poor ridability at low rpm and cruise speeds. It opens the slide to fast and hunts for position. Glad you fixed it! That's all that matters
  11. fxdflh

fxdflh New Member

Funny you mention that. When I looked up the proceedure for the job it said to drill a 1/8th hole and I was wondering why the hell it didn't just come that way. I didn't drill it because of that thinking. At $40 I better not have that problem! Hahahaha. Thanks Paul, Ill let you know. So far seems ok. Rode like hell last night!