1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb Jetting

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Sep 1, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

This is probably more of a question for Ken.
    I'm redoing my carb on my 01 Heritage Springer with the kit I got from you. After removing the carb and opening it up to replace the jets I noticed that the idle jet is a 45 and the main is a 180. Your kit says a stock 88 with sock filter and exhaust use a #46 idle jet. The main jet in the bike is a 180 and again for stock your directions says use a #190. The bike came with a SE air filter and Sampson exhaust so its not stock. Your directions say use a #48 idle and a #196 main for stage 1 which that's pretty much what mine is. Question going to the larger jets #48 and a #195 vs the #45 and #180 is it going to be running to rich? I know the carb was re-jetted before and it is puzzling why they only had a #45 idle and a #180 main in it.
    I've had a lot of after fire in the pipes. I also tore the exhaust off and replaced the header gaskets and found that the cross-over tube did not have a gasket and washer in it. I could see where the cross-over had some major blow by on the outside of it.
    I replaced all the header gaskets and installed new cross-over gaskets also.
  2. FLHTbiker

Had an inspection job this morning so didn't get a chance to ride it until a bit ago.
    Ken must be real busy so as I stated on another post I simply followed the suggestions in the CV Performance Stage 1 instructions.
    Kens kit or CV Performance worked out really sweet. I put the #48 idle jet in and used the #195 jet for the main. Runs really good, had to adjust the idle mixture knob out to 2 1/4 turns and like I said runs great. I'll ride it for awhile then pull the plugs to take a look, but sure they will be fine.
    No more popping when up shifting and very little decel popping, virtually none. Didn't notice any black smoke from the exhaust so real happy with the outcome. Thanks Ken for great products. :)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i knew ya would be happy.........
  4. FLHTbiker

Yea, worked out real good. First time opening up a HD carb, piece of cake. Biggest problem I've had in adjusting it after being installed on the bike is reaching under the carb and trying to picture in my mine which way to turn the adjuster knob. :rolleyes: :D
  5. tinsin

tinsin New Member

They do sell an adjustment screw that's more like a thumb screw that's supposed to be better than trying to place a small screwdriver in the adjustment and turning it one way or the other. I've stuck with the stock screw in mine ... out about 2 1/4 turns ... benn that way forever. My biggest change was to take .030 off the needle adjustment. Had .060 on originally, but was bogging down and running way rich. Having a #45 and a #195 in my carb with .030 on the needle adjust gives me torque throughout the powerband. I don't need a screamer ... just something a bit better than stock.
  6. FLHTbiker

I have the thumb screw but when adjusting it upside down I have to picture in my mind the correct direction. :rolleyes:

I'm out about 2 1/4 turns, runs great and have the #48 Idle and the #195 jets work really well.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

righty titey.......lefty loosey...................lol lol
  8. FLHTbiker

The ol brain don't work upside down sometimes :eek::D
  9. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

FLHTbiker,
    Are you using Ken's needle? If so, how does the ride compare to the original needle?

I like the way my carb is working but this is the first time I used a carb on this bike so I don't have anything to compare too.

Why is it that the HD dealers have a 185 jet and a 200 jet but nothing in between?
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

just to piss you off tom, that's why :roflmao:
  11. FLHTbiker

Well, I would say more power and smother operation with way less after fire.
  12. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I knew there is a conspiracy against me. :cussing: