1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, Aug 8, 2011.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Hello to all . new to the fourm so I will keep it short . not to long ago i got the bagger . and of course it was wrench on in the past ! :mad: so i had to fix it the proper way . it has rinehart true duals on it stage 1 filter and it now has a set of mike rowland cams with gear drives . tensioners were gone so i fix it before the pump took a crap. it had a dyno jet kit in the carb . so that went in the trash . put stock slide in stock spring . stock main jet holder 195 in main 45 slow . and n65e . needle . but i still had to shim it .060 thousand for midrange not to be lean ? no air leaks at all . the question that i have is the cv kit i just got looks to be about the same size needle . if i have to should i shim this needle as well . or step up the slow jet . thanks in advance guys !
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the new needle looks the same but it is different....the taper is where the difference is.....where it transitions from low speed up. i would put it together as the instructions indicate, then test drive it before shiming........
  3. baggerpaul

Thanks brother . I thought the same thing . but even the taper looks the same . ill try it I have had these carbs apart so many times one more time wont kill me. ! it was just in the trasition that i was lean . wide open kicked a-- and idle was fine . it just needed the needle to come in a little faster . off the seat .
  4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

I went through the same thing on my bike. It leaned out as I started to roll on the throttle. I even put a richer pilot jet but still seemed weak on the bottom end. I bought the kit and thought the needle didn't look different but there is a different taper profile like Chuck said. After the kit I was able to drop down in pilot size and still gained alot of response while rolling on the throttle. I was impressed with the kit.
  5. baggerpaul

Well i installed the kit last night . roll on at about 5.000 at 3 to 4 % throttle in second gear she starts to break up . it would not do that with the other set up . and its not the kits fault at all . the slide i bought the vacum hole is to big and the slide needs to be replaced again . with the light spring and the hole thats to large its lifting the neddle of its seat to fast and im running . rich we will fix that on the week end thanks guys !
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep common with that kit, people over drill the slide and have a weak spring and the slide will even hunt for position giving poor drive-ablity.

All you want to do is clean up the edge of the existing hole, not enlarge it...
  7. baggerpaul

yep and it was an aftermarket slide so the hole was big to start with i had a good mind to tig weld it last night . but i dont think the diaphram would be to happy . thought of putting the rubber side in a bowl of water and tig weld it shut . to much like work ill go get one from the moco .!
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good idea!!!!!