1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb Question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 20, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I pulled the carb off my 01 Springer yesterday to replace the choke cable. When I did I noticed the 2 rubber tubes were cracked but were also filled and plugged up with a white jelly substance? Any thoughts as to why.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

You mean the head breather tubes I assume you're talking about, they're 8 yrs old and drying out and brittle would be my guess. The ones on my '03 were like that and I found another set up at the garage, they were softer. the white jelly is oil and condensation mix( the old grease monkeys here called it grey paint) from the bike being shut down before the condensation in the engine got a chance to evaporate. It will develop over time if the bike is used for short runs in cool weather and not completely up to running temp.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yes the head breather tubes. Have not had the bike all that long and it is my first HD carb bike, guess I should have done a better checking it after I picked it up. The tubes were pretty much plugged solid. Never realized they could plug up like that. I had a couple of newer tubes from another bike that I switched out the air cleaner for an SE air cleaner. Guess I should check these tubes more often and clean them out. Thanks for the feed back.
  4. Simard

Simard New Member

How do I replace choke cable on 1997 Fatboy
  5. Simard

Simard New Member

:)how do I repace choke cable on 1997 Fatboy
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

basically you have to lift the tank up to get access, unbolt the choke cable, loosen throttle cables, air cleaner, backing plate fuel line, pull carb, it connects to the back.

I would stop by your HD dealer and get/order a service manual for the bike, it will show you step by step every procedure on that bike, it's worth it's $40 in gold.
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

No need to pull the tank, just remove air cleaner and backing plate, loosen throttle cables, loosen nut that holds choke by horn, shut fuel off, remove fuel line from carb, pull VOES tube off, pull carb straight out a little remove cables from carb, carb is off and ready to be worked on. I have several Fatboys this works every time, haven't had the tank off of the 02 or 05 and have modified both carbs. Manual is worth the cost, Just my $0.02 worth.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

but you still need to lift it to get to the bits easily, unless you have tiny hands.

I remove the seat, pull the rear tank bolt, Loosen the nut on the dash and move it back, then lift the rear of the tank with a cap from a spray can.

If you want/ need more room, remove the front tank bolt and run a board that is 2x2 or close up under the tank to hold it up, this gives a ton of room.