1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

carb questions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bryan ketchum, Sep 1, 2019.

1. bryan ketchum

bryan ketchum New Member

what's the difference between a Harley 27412-99D and a 27412-99C carburetor?
    will a 27490-96A work on a '04 88ci ?
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Is it a 40mm Keihin CV? Pretty sure all those are -then it will work.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Usually its some minor manufacturing or change of manufacturer when the the suffix changes on a HD part from A to B, C etc,
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. bryan ketchum

bryan ketchum New Member

Okay thanks. The other question..the 27490-96A came off a single cam. Do you know if that will work on a dual cam? I have seen some notes that imply there's a difference but even local dealer can't answer that.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. hotroadking

here's a link to fit from VTwin...

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/VTwinProd1_10101_10102_3417865_-1

Understand when you buy older used carbs the issue isn't always the carb but what they show it fits in the book and what parts fit it, from what I've seen the 27490-96A was an 883 sportster part number.

However they show it fitting other bikes up to 06 with would include twin cams.

VT No: 35-0987
    OEM No: 24790-04| 27490-96A|27421-99C
    40mm bare CV carburetor is an accurate reproduction of the venerable Keihin CV carburetor and features a natural finish body and silver top.
    Complete and assembled with all components. The main jet installed is #190. *NOTE: Must order choke cable assembly, manifold, cable set (push-pull), air cleaner and jet assortment separately. Universal fit with adapters and jets available separately, to change if desired.
    Fits:
    XL 1988-2006
    FXST 1990-2006
    FLST 1990-2006
    FLT 1990-2006
    FXD 1991-2005
    FXR 1990-1994
    UOM: 1 - EA
    Country of Origin: Imported
    Red Rider likes this.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

All of the carburetor models you listed are the same, the different numbers only represent differences in the original jets and needle used in each to fit different models. A -96 model would have come off of a 96-98 model and those -99 carbs would have come off 1999-2000 model, but really no difference once you change out the jets and needle.

Also, I know that some have had good luck with the knock off carbs from VTwin Mfg or eBay but just know that you often get what you pay for. Many have reported to us that stock Harley components (or our own parts) don't fit on the Chinese knock-off carburetors. One example is the specs for the emulsion tube have shown to not thread properly with stock or OE main jets. Other threaded parts have similar issues. I have seen multiple inconsistencies with these as well. Just be aware that you may need to make modifications to them when it comes time to replace some parts, since those offshore manufacturers do not offer replacement parts. We (CV Performance) do not sell carburetors so I'm not here to bash any reseller. However we always advise our customers to try and use only original Harley used carburetors and to rebuild them with either parts from Harley or ourselves to guarantee proper fit and function of all parts.

We've seen the $79 "new" CV carburetors on eBay, but also have heard from customers stranded on a long trip after something eventually fails with a knock-off as well. I ordered one of those carbs direct from the manufacturer that supplies VTwin, just to see if the carb might be a viable replacement. The answer was a big NO, it had so many flaws I didn't trust installing on my bike or anyone else's.

Anyway, I highly recommend locating a used Harley carburetor (it will say "Harley Davidson" on it) and making the internal upgrades to fit your model. You will have years of troublefree riding.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. hotroadking

The Chinese models say Haree Dravisan on the side :D
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

They're known to run reen