1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb recommendation

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Silverbullet, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Silverbullet

Silverbullet New Member

I'm having some work done to my 2003 Deuce. Big bore,ported heads and screaming eagle 257 cams. I was wondering what carb I should run. Dealer doing install says the stock cv will be sufficient if properly jetted. I was wondering if I'm giving up HP by not going with a Mikuni 42 or 45. Suggestions?
  2. bxbutch

bxbutch New Member

i have the same set up with a 42 mikuni i tried modifing stock cv but didnt have good top end mikuni works great
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

It's possible you'd get a bit more HP from the mik, depends on the whole setup, the mIk42 is the one you'd want a 45 is too big on a 95 and you'll get better throttle response from the 42.

Now for the other point.. Put it together and ride it with the cv40 first see what numbers you come up with it should handle up to about 90 HP easily, or go to the cv44 with the SE intake, I think that would be a better choice
  4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Mikuni = smooth bore

Mikuni all the way, "In my opinion" its the best carb out there for the money. I dont know if money is an issue, if it is, rejet the your c.v.. OR HSR42 for you
  5. Silverbullet

Silverbullet New Member

Thanks, I guess I'll see what the 40 will do. I'm hoping for close to 100hp. Dealer says they've done a few and wouldn't be surprised to see 95hp and 100-105 tq. Should be done tomorrow or Wednesday and then I've got 500 long,slow miles before I can let it rip.
  6. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Carb

I'd go with the Mikuni too. I have used them on three bikes and they are great! The last one I got was through Direct for $250 under the specials section. They bolt right on and are very easy to adjust if needed.

Good Luck!
  7. bxbutch

bxbutch New Member

my 95 incher dynoed at 103 tq. & 98 hp it all depends on the combination you use @ tuning what you want is usable power in the low & middle range
  8. Seahag

Seahag New Member

My experience is limited...but having had the stock CV with thunderslide and a thunderjet....then having that modified by Dakota Kid Carbs...I'd say hands down the CV,when worked by a pair of knowing hands, is a GREAT (maybe the best) carb. If you aren't comfortable trying to tune your jetting yourself, another benefit of the reworked CV's (Dakota Kid and Wood's performance 2 I know of) is that they set the carb up for you based on the setup you are running.

I know for big inch hi po motors, Wood's has a 51mm CV "worked" carb that is supposed to be AWESOME...by all accounts I've read....but it cost $1200.00 so it had better be that good :D
  9. Silverbullet

Silverbullet New Member

I don't think I'll be spending $1200.00 for a carb. For that much money,it'd better do more than feed the engine!
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That $1200 includes the cv51 total kit which is $600 from HD with filter, carb and intake.

You can get a cv 51 redone for less around $500, the bore is increased, new butterfly, the transistions for the fuel is changed, it's properly jetted as woods uses smaller jet increments for more precise tuning, larger fuel bowl and new needle made from titianium.

A woods 43.5 would work well or a 40.5 on a 95 inch motor. I made more HP and TQ with the 40.5 over the hsr 45 until i got into the higher rpms but my filter was restricting the motor then.

If you want to bolt something on, the mik 42 will improve your throttle response and power but probably not what you'd expect.
  11. FlaDaddy

FlaDaddy New Member

Mikuni, or whatever.....

Put whatever Carb you want on that bike "Crash"......

My wife will still smoke ya!!!

LOL!!!!!
  12. Silverbullet

Silverbullet New Member

Maybe, but you'd be so far behind both of us, you'd never see it!