1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb S883 sporty/help asap

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Jul 17, 2009.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok real quick...fella has stock 883. older. 02 or 03.. anyways had straight pipes last year...told him about back pressure. He put in cones ran it for a few months and loves it. Now it started poping out pipes according to him and carb. Thought he got bad gas. So he ran a bottle of some type of cleaner through it. Then decided to jet down to a 42 instead of the (flooding)
    He had it almost apat and called me for help. So I talked wnet over but let him do the work to learn. back together sounded good. Too late for a ride.
    He also said he had been having problem with it ovoer flowing and hard starting. He thought his barrerty was going out too. will not hold a charge. Replaced battery...good to go... now he took it for a ride and it died. sat for a while at the dealership and called me I was busy. Called back and said thought the ignition was acting up. Made some sense to what I told him night before. Now he out there got the air/fule mix all the way in and it is running?!?! He took it back apart to put in washer he wanted to relpace. Not the carb just a vent from the head. But it is running with the air screw all the way in and god knows what else. It should have died. He also stated it was getting alot of air now.... Ok...Hope some one reads this in the next 45 minutes couase I gotta go and just fix it for him for tommorws ride. But runnung with the screww all the way in and getting alot of air and a switch?
    Mainly the screw....doesn't even kill the bike or slow it down much.
    anyone?
    Later Gotta get ready to go but what in the world???? Maybe it is not as bad as it sounds it ran great when it was together the first time. Great guy he is.. hope all is good when I get there.
    Voo1
  2. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

ok gotta leaver in 15 minutes. won't be back on here till after 9pm EST. Hopefully by then I got it fixed. It is easier just to get there and do it instead of trouble shooting over a phone. This web site is always good for the knowledge of trouble shooting (gotta give good details tho ). HeY I wrote what I was told. LOL Figured I would share in the confusion... Most have been there when that buddy that rides and wants to do it himself calls and calls..and calls, sooner or later, ya end up showing up to see for yourself because it is EZR to.

Later:cool:
    Voo1
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Sorry I couldn't get back to you in time, but FYI, the idle mixture screw on a CV carb is not an "air bleed" like on many carbs & it controls fuel flow thru a tiny port - run it all the way in & you cut the flow to nothing.

Carb overflowing says needle & seat assembly problem - and/or float level is off. Also, the "torque cones" stuck in drag pipes are just a "Band-Aid" - the same bike with stock pipes, crossover & quality slip-on muffs will run MUCH better - accellerate faster & hit a higher top speed too.
  4. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

1. Ok. told him to check Vaccum lines in back of carb. The day it died at the dealership from the info he was giving me.
    One hose was off from the "tee".

2 Bike does turn over but floods.
    Told him it might not be getting spark, igition trouble shoot.
    The after market ignition switch jingles around and found a dead spot in switch when in the on position.
    Question here is this switch has 3 positions..Accessories...left..and two positions to the right. 1st positon is "on" second position is ? reads the same, Wonder if we could use that temporarily for the "on" position until the new switch shows up.

3. Ok the carb all the way in whatever...... now he has 3 turns out. bike ran fine sounded good but, to small a jet is what I told him...(he went from a 48 to a 45) stock 883/03 aftermarket exhaust and has a butterfly aftermarket air cleaner intake on it ran great with the 48 he said but it started to backfire through pipes all of a sudden and flood while trying to start.
    Told him the switch is acting up and the if ignition is faulty it'll do that too. We will see tomorrow.
    But told, kinda hard to fix when it does not do it while I am standing there, so we diagnosed and that is what was we came up with.(that intermentent stuff stinks) I say break all the way so I fix it!!!:D
    like I said he was smiling and the bike sounded good.
    Still wanna change the jet and dial it in for him with and the new switch.
    Oh yeah also putting in a new ignition/coil. That thing is under the tank. Oh boy..forgot about that being there.

Voo1
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

That'll darn sure mess you up !! If the line going to the petcock isn't hooked up, fuel won't flow @ all & if the one running to the VOES (vacuum operated electrical switch) isn't hooked up, the ignition won't switch advance curves when it's supposed to.

Nope, that's a carb issue & as mentioned, it's either needle & seat assy. problem, and/or float level.

I doubt it - something's "hinkey" there.

There's not an 883 on planet earth that needs a 45 slow - the stock 42 is the one to use. Main jet size baseline is a 165, but the best main jet can vary depending on several things - air-cleaner, exhaust - especially heads & cams. A 45 slow is too big for most 1200's & a 48 is insane for a Sportster engine - even a 1250 with serious head work & cams.
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

thanks Art If anyone would know I knew it would be you.
    I'll get him to change the jets back to that. And while I 'm in there I wanna check the float anyways. I appreciate the information.

Still not sure what is up with the switch you can jiggle it and it'll dim the entire light assembly as well. He said later tonight that a wire seemed loose on it and he fixed it.
    Oh yeah on the Turn all the way in screw, never did find out what that was about. But three turns out with a 45? I got a 42 in the drawer think I'll throw it in there tommorrow morning and if he has any questions I will inform him of your(ART) credentials.:D I think he was meddling with the idle screw and not the air/fuel or vice versa. not sure why,I gotta give him credit he is trying. I'll see tomorrow for sure what is up I am sure before the day is out. Thank you again for the information. I will put it to good use.

Voo1
  7. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Re: Carb S883 thanks ART

Yeah I I followed him for a bit the other day, the fumes would choke ya to death. I suggested he go back and take the carb out and check it all the way.
    He said the DEALERSHIP had put that 48 in there last year when he had the aftermarket pipes put on. I smiled and said, "There is your problem right there the STEALERSHIP". I tried not to make him feel as though he got the wrong setup ( and gave him ART's credentials:D ) and explained how cross over helps, but even if he did not change back the pipes when he puts in the new switch, it really did turn the bike off twice just by jiggling it,the bike really needs to be checked out, float, fuel lines and vaccum for anyhting that may be wrong or worn. So if he wants to get a few new gaskets and take a little time to go through it, to give me a call and we'd get it straight.

Heck I seen a TV whow last week where they took an old Cuda and instead of running two straight back the shop built a custom pipe where the two "Xd" together and even explained the benefits of it compared to the two staight out.
    thanks for your information

Voo1
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If its flooding then the float needle (plunger) is not seating. The little viton rubber tip on it is either bad or there is some debris in there. Its also possible that the float level got knocked out of place. I would fix this before attempting to tune the mixture.

Here is the flaot level adjustment:
    [​IMG]
  9. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

yup straight out the manual. don't get any easier to do. Thanks!!!

Voo1