1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Carb swap outs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gpaxtell, Mar 7, 2013.

1. gpaxtell

gpaxtell New Member

I have the factory cv carb on my 1997 xl 1200 and it runs like crap so I am thinking of putting an S & S Super B on it to see if that corrects the problem. I found a couple vaccum leaks that have been fixed and I thought the Petcock was bad so I replaced it with one off my 1989 xl 1200. Forgot that the petcock was vaccum fed and didn't hook it back up after I cleaned the carb. Does the 1997 have to have a vaccum fed petcock for it to run right? I honestly do ot remember and have talked to a couple of trusted mechanics and have gotten diffeerent answers each time !! Any help would be greatly appreciated !
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I guess I am curious as to why you think that it runs like crap? I use a gravity fed petcock on my 96 and am about to change out my vac operated one on my Road Glide as well. If you have a vacuum line for the fuel, then yes I would reattach it.

Did the bike always run this way or is this something new? Have you made any recent changes to the air filter and or pipes other engine modifications? The graybeards here have taught me that the it is hard to beat a very well tuned CV. What is your jetting for your particular set up?
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

We need more info, like Johnny says. CV carbs are hard to beat once you get them dialed in, and for your size motor, the CV is perfect. Why waste $400 (or more) on an S&S? On my shovelhead, I blocked off the VOES. But carb will run either way, depending on your setup.
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

No, you don't need a vacuum operated petcock,gravity fed will work fine...you will have to cap the vac line though...if there's a T fitting for the vacuum lines,one goes to the petcock and the other to VOES,you can remove the T and just run a straight vac line to the VOES...
    What's the problem you're having with the carb??If you can describe the problem,I'm pretty sure someone could help you out....AND they may NOT have a grey beard either...:rolleyes:;):roflmao:
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

OK, Platinum Blond then.....:rolleyes::roflmao:
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

:roflmao:Good memory:cheers: