1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ZZsBagger, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ZZsBagger

ZZsBagger New Member

Has anyone out there had any experience in Ceramic coating of exhaust pipes?
    I know that you cannot "powder coat exhaust systems" but I was told that Ceramic coating is the way to go for a much cooler running exhaust plus you don't have the chrome to clean...
    I have purchased (through Direct Parts) a set of V&H Big Dual pipes. I am in the process of contacting a Ceramic coating company to see if the best adhesion is to send them the new pipes before I put them on and put some miles on them...
    Any ideas, comments?

Thanks,

ZZsBagger
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I think I have heard of ceramic coating on pipes but I thought it was on the inside. It doesn't seem pratical to have this done to an existing set of pipes but I may be missing something.
  3. MODCOBRA

MODCOBRA New Member

Are you wanting to change the pipes to black? I am interested in how this is done also.

Ben
  4. ZZsBagger

ZZsBagger New Member

Thanks ModCobra & SlimJim for replies

Yesterday, I received my new V&H Big Shot Duals and my new FuelPak from Direct Parts. By the way, they look great! Anyway, I read in several places and talked with a powder coating company in Irvine, Ca. about getting my pipes done (Gloss Black). I am trying to get the chrome pieces on the bike colored black as I think it looks better and it's easier to clean. Anyway, He recommended a Ceramic Coating. The good companies will make the coating at least 4 mils thick. Powder coating will not work on the exhaust, but I had some other pieces done and they're great! Make sure the company is a good one, if you decide to do this. I searched for reputable companies for Ceramic Coating and was pointed to one in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Yesterday, I sent my brand new pipes (never put on my ride) to Wisconsin. I'll let you all know how they turn out...
    It was hard, not putting the new pipes on the bike...But, I hope in the long run, I'll be set...Until, I start tinkering again...(smile)...
    By the way, I got ahold of the Tech at Vance & Hines and he said that I stay with the same mapping once the pipes are coated...

ZZsBagger
  5. edgehaha

edgehaha New Member

I reckon you're not a fan of 2X1 pipes, but Thunderheader has pipes that come ceramic coated black. Check out my ride... They sound awsome and there is no question about performance.:D

Attached Files:

6. ZZsBagger

ZZsBagger New Member

Thanks, edgehaha

Hey, I like your ride...With a bagger, I am inclined to go with the 2 into 2 look...
    Are your pipes Ceramic Coated? If so, How are they holding up?
    I just put the FuelPak into service yesterday, and I set it up for my stock headers and the V&H slants, for the time being, until I get my V&H Duals back from the coating company. The response is better than I had previously, in all RPM ranges. I had to use the ol' Dremmel tool to cut off the allen heads when I was installing the FuelPak. I then just added my own bolts. Nothing to the installation, and I'm glad I spent the money...Thanks, CD for the advice...
    Does anyone out there have the 18 set point listings on what the settings do?
    I just mapped it to what they suggested for my application...

ZZsBagger