1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Changing Shocks on a 1981 Sporty

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Doc1953, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Doc1953

Doc1953 New Member

Hi,

I was wonering if anyonw could tell me if there is anything special I should know about changing out the shocks on my 1981 Sportster (XLH). Outside of gettign the back tire up off the floor and unbolting the old shocks and bolting on the new ones, is there any trick to this? Any instruction you can give me would be appreciated.

Doc
  2. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

When I did my Dyna, I had blocks under the frame to get it off the ground. Then I just unbolted the shocks and held up the rear tire with one hand and unbolted the shock with the other. It was pretty easy to do overall. You can also use a piece of wood or something to pry the tire back up when you are ready to re-install, depending on how far the tire drops when the shock is unbolted.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

nothing special to look for, but i have done it one shock at a time....dont have to fight the wheel/swingarm assy. have fun!!:)
  4. Doc1953

Doc1953 New Member

Changing Shocks

Thanks for the information; it verifies what I suspected. I will let you know how things come out.

Doc
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I do as Chuck say's One at a time way easy that way work smart not harder :D
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Done it both ways,

One at a time is easier. JMO