1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Chaps or No

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by FlynDutchman, Mar 29, 2008.

?

Chaps: wear em or no ?

Poll closed Mar 29, 2009.
  1. Always: They're comfortable

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes, but I ride where nobody will recognize me

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I would If I had em but I dont own any

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. No, they make you look like a freak. I dont care how cold it is

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Ok, so maybe Im gettin old, or maybe its just a comfort thing but I just bought some leather chaps the other day cause I'm tired of freezin my butt off when riding (we have had 1 day over 50 this year) So how many of you guys wear chaps, how many wear em but dont admit to it, how many wouldnt wear em if you were being paid to, & how many just think they make you look queer (can I say queer without gettin in trouble?)
  2. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

needed more poll choices. I wear them when it is cold and don't when it is hot. Tend to wear them more on road trips and less around town, just because of their cumbersomeness (is that aword?).
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

below 50* yes i wear them................:)
  4. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

What Chuck said!
  5. Goose

Goose New Member

I wear touring gear like Tourmaster and First Gear and such make. Have a tourmaster suit for cold/wet that's amazing. Normally, though, it's warm to hot down here and I wear my Brosh mesh/kevlar armored jacket and jeans for traveling. Screw the jacket if I'm just running around town. Had a pair of draggin' jeans, but got too fat for 'em. :banghead: Need to ebay 'em, in good shape, not ridden in that much. They're armored with kevlar in the butt and knees.
  6. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

It is now !
  7. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Thanks for sharing..... I know that around my workplace, if I came in wearing em, I'd get looks like I just came from a Village People/Cher concert...I talked with one of the guys here who also rides & he said he swears by em & screw everybody else....
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

I never really did care if other people didn't like what I like. That's the great thing about America, freedom of choice. Everyone has their own opinions, taste, and choose what works for them. I say live life the way you want, not the way others think you should. If someone doesn't like what I'm wearing, I guess their entitled to their opinion, but I just say fu#$em and ride on.:chopper:

As Red Green would say,"It's not right or wrong, but it makes us what we are".
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I wear 'em when the temp drops into the 30's. Other than that, their just not needed...:)
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I selected always...but that isn't quite true....I wear them when it is hot out...put shorts underneith...this allows me to take off the chaps and have something cooler to wear when not on the bike. My alternative is leather jeans.... These are good, but when hot weather comes along, kinda hard to just shuck them.....and they are tight enuf that I can't put much for clothes under them. I have Leather jeans and chaps....wear them both as the mood for the ride.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I wear lined bib coveralls and my CPC issue northern parka when its cold and wet, whatever i find on the floor by my bed when its warm.
  12. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

i wear mine almost all the time. same with the leather jacket. when it gets too, hot 100+ out i don't but if it's that hot i probably will not ride, hard on me,hard on the bike.
  13. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

wear them

I wear them on road trips and when it's cold out. if you dont have them on when the temps go down you will wish you did. screw what everyone else thinks that doesnt wear them cuz they think they look queer or whatever. if I'm comfortable who cares. they are hot when it's hot out though.
  14. fujimo

fujimo New Member

chaps,,

i wear elk leather pullover top and pants,,, not for warmth ,,but if you have ever went down at hiway speeds ,,,can see what they help with,,, i was hooked by a econo van with no windows in 82,,, turned handlebars and dumped me at 50 plus,,, foot was under bike,,, got kicked loose and rolled unto my back,,,went by 69 mustang in center lane and could see him looking me rite in my eyes,,,, slid untill finally stopped,,, toe of boot was burned clear offf,,,had steel toe as was required at work,,, burned that knee that was trapped under bike flat,,, actually ground knee cap half off,,, flat as hell now,,, never hurt my top,,,BUT i was in too much of a hurry to put pants on when left work,,,so resulting injurys,,, i wear top always,,, pants most of time,,, been tore up too many times,,, i now hate pain,,, heat is not too bad if you are moving,,, and like someone said who gives a sh;;t what others say,,, my outfit ,,after 30 years is about as scroungy as you will find,,, but they work for what i believe leathers are for ,,pops
  15. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I always tell people that want to call me part of the Village People due to my leather...it is better to slide on cow then slide on me......with that statement alone, they tend to understand why leather..........and I really don't care if they do or don't understand!
  16. strickt9Rob

strickt9Rob Active Member

I'm Agree with chucktx, wear them 50 and below other then that it's long johns and jeans ........really don't care for No *ss at all cowboy pants. No offence cowboy.lol
  17. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Wear 'em when its c-c-cold, and take 'em off when its warm. Don't bother for short rides. Great way to keep bugs off ya, too, if you need to look better than average when getting somewhere on your ride. Used to commute in uniform in Okinawa and in Coronado, and the chaps worked real well in keeping the grime off.

I'm generally against worrying about what others do or look like, and don't pay a whole lot of attention to what they think I look like. My only chap "thing" is when I'm around other riders at a long stop and it's like 110 degrees out and some just will not be seen without their chaps on 'em when they're near their bikes. I know I'll wear mine in the heat of summer if wearing shorts or going for a 300+ mile ride, but they come off real quick if I'm stopping longer than a gas stop. They are friggin HOT. On the other hand, if it is cold and I ain't warmed up yet I'll wear 'em into anywhere.
  18. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I just got chaps at the beginning of last years riding season. My first pair. I'm 51 and have been on bikes since I was 16. I dont like them much when it's hot, otherwise I cant believe I rode all those years without them. Really keeps the bugs off your legs, and especially helps when those little stones come bouncing up off the road. Great in the cold.
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I live in the Pacific NW and 9 months out of the year its a good chance of rain or cold so I wear Insulated bib overalls with a insulated jacket (both are first gear) when its raining and cold and Chaps on cool mornings. Hot afternoons I take the chaps off and roll em up then store them in a saddle bag. Don't care who thinks what as I wear what I need for comfort and warmth. I've been in restaurants and had mothers pull their kids to the side thinking we are all deaf or something when they tell their kids we are a gang or dirty people because of all the leather we have on. Set a few of them straight a time or two but mostly we just don't care what they think.
    Riding on freeways and traveling I usually wear chaps as long as its not raining. Ever been caught in a hail storm wearing chaps, if so you know. :D
  20. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

I'LL BUY SOME THIS SEASON, TIRED OF FREEZING MAY A99 OFF, PLUS I WANT SOME THING TO SLIDE ON IF ONE OF MY TIRES FALL OFF:roflmao: