1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Choke Cable

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Dec 16, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've never replaced the choke cable on a carbed bike but my 01 springer needs to have it replace. I do all my own work as much as possible and do I need to pull the carb to do this? I didn't see much info in my manual for this.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it will make it much easier if you pull it.....not a hard job to pull, as it is not really mounted. a rubber o ring holds it, along with the backing plate. pull the aircleaner and backing plate....undo the plastic knurled nut holding the pull knob to the bracket and slide it to the side to remove it....then pull the carb to you and it should come off enough to replace the cable....dont mess with the throttle cables......why are you needing to replace the cable???? if ya dont mind me asking.......:)
  3. FLHTbiker

The plastic nut is cracked and it won't hold the cable out in the chock position. Went to the dealer and was told you need to replace the whole cable. ?????
  4. chucktx

very true,,,,,,if the nut is bad, the whole cable is needed.

that said, dont throw the old one away....i know someone that could use it...:)
  5. FLHTbiker

OK chuck, I'll probably wait till it warms back up out of the teens before I do it. Been repairing plumbing issues all day today, but done now. Were expecting another 2 inches tonight and with freezing rain :cussing: , just wonderful.
  6. chucktx

i hate plumbing in the winter.........!!!!!!:gah:
    hope it all turns out ok.....stay warm!!!
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I may have a used one in the garage, shoot me a PM and I'll check tomorrow if there's a good one.