1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Choke Knob issue

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 28, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Just picked up a really nice 01 Heritage Springer but can't get the choke to stay out. When I pull out the choke knob its like there is a spring on the other side pulling it back in about 1/2 way. Never seen an issue like this on a carbed bike before any suggestions?
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Tighten the ribbed plastic nut on the outside of the choke cable right behind the knob, but just use your fingers to tighten or it'll crack it( don't ask how I know:rolleyes: )just enuf so the choke will stay out.:devil:
  3. FLHTbiker

Thanks I'll give that a try:)
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, that should cure your problem, unless it is already cracked. if it is you will need to make a trip to the dealer, or see if you can repair the cracked one....:)
    let us know.........
  5. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I am a voice of expierance be VERY careful tightening the knob mine was cracked already cause as soon as I put a little torque on it the top came off
    I got by witha piece of hard tubing that held it out till It warmed up for about a week then had the dealer fix it. Its kind of a crappy design it should be metal.
  6. FLHTbiker

It was already tight but it worked enough to get it started and to our HOG chapter meeting tonight.

The meeting was pretty interesting. Jean Davidson was a guest speaker and selling her books. She spoke for an hour and is quit an interesting lady. Very interesting stories about growing up in the Davidson home and listening about the Harley's and the Davidson's start up and the families.
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The plastic nut and inner sleeve are notorious for wearing out. There is a spring that pulls the plunger back in to prevent the enrichener from wandering out while riding. Let me know if it starts slipping again. I should have a few of those laying around in the garage.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think the whole new choke cable is about $12 or $15 if you need a new one.
  9. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Same thing happened to me too. I leave it out enough to starty then push it in and control warm up with my throttle. Been working for years...:)
  10. whacker

whacker Active Member

I just bought one for 12 bucks...