1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

choke thing-a-ma-jig

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tinsin, May 28, 2005.

1. tinsin

tinsin New Member

After re-working the carb on my bike and re-installing it, I over tightened the nut holding the choke cable on the bracket and it snapped. Plastic will usually do that! Why, oh why is the bolt/nut holding the choke cable in place made of plastic in that area is anyones guess. It still works but is a bit of a hassle working the choke. What's involved in replacing the cable to the carb, or is there another way to fix it that I'm overlooking ?? crazy glue ??? The carb is the stock CV Harley issue. :confused: Thanks !!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

replacement cable is available at any dealer and not too expensive, pull carb and remove cable from back of carb and replace pretty straight forward
  3. tinsin

tinsin New Member

Thanks, HRK. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of pulling the carb .... again! Maybe if I loosen the tank bolts and lift the tank some I'll be able to get to it that way.... over the top. Thanks again.
  4. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Cable

Removing the carb is easiest way to replace the cable. I've done the same thing. Those plastic nuts blow. I don't think you will be able to get the clearance you need to remove the cable by tanking the tanks off. In other words, you'll probably have to take the carb off anyway.

Good luck!
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just remove the seat, and remove the rear tank bolt then lift the rear of the tank, put a cap from a spray can or piece of wood in there to hold it up.

Loosen the cables to the carb and you should be able to get it off and then replace the cable.