1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Christmas Lights

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by MSHax, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MSHax

MSHax New Member

I find that the sooner the stores put out the christmas stuff, the later I want to do it. It's normally the "thing to do" to put up all of our decorations on black friday when my wife is out of the house shopping and not bothering my boys and I. I have a 6 year old and a 4 year old so when they say "Can we put up the decorations, we'll help" it means "daddy can you do it". Put up the tree and can't bring myself to do the rest. I got the ladder out, got out my staple gun and my boxes of lights, then sat down and logged into bike-talk to put off doing anything else. :p

Anyone else feeling the lag this year? Also would like to hear from you insane people that spent 47 straight hours making your house look like Clark Griswalds house from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, maybe that'll motivate me.
  2. MUDFLAP

MUDFLAP New Member

Well, I normally don't put up lights anyway, LOL! But I have "thought" about putting up some lights for my girls (5 and 4 yrs old). Guess I better read that damned HOA handbook they gave me when I moved into this place to make sure I don't piss someone off with lights on the house... :banghead:
  3. MSHax

MSHax New Member

DAMN! Good call mudflap, I probably should have asked the hoa the rules for lights. I've never seen anyone in my area with lights. I bought this house 6 years ago and haven't seen any decorations on any house for any holiday.
  4. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Yea, we do quite a bit, usually wife has 3 trees and mucho decorations. I put up lights on house and garlands on front porch. Girls grown, just cant stop doing it. In Florida this weekend, so will all happen next weekend weather allowing. Here a couple from two years ago. ;)

Attached Files:

5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep, every year

Attached Files:

6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I just have two teenage grand kids & they have'nt ask yet & I don
    t volintear for the lights so with some luck nop go lights here :D
  7. MUDFLAP

MUDFLAP New Member

Drove threw the neighborhood earlier and seems as tho we can have lights but don't seem like we can have much up tho.
  8. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Still to early for decorations...Gets earlier every year...Before you know it they will put them up at the end of August...Same thing with Easter....
  9. popeye

popeye Active Member

We just down-sized to an apartment a few months ago to accomplish being debt free w/in 3 years. But here's my display from last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. MSHax

MSHax New Member

I know EXACTLY what you're doing popeye, I live in a town house now to accomplish my debt free goal. I'm getting excited because I'm only 11 months away from being debt free (except the town house of course). Was going to rent a place but it was actually about $1000 a month cheaper to buy a townhouse than to rent an apartment.

I got up part or my lights, just need to finish. As I was doing it though, I started to get a little concerned about the HOA rules, the people walking by were kinda looking at me funny as if I was doing something wrong. We'll see if I get fined again; got a $20 fine for leaving my garbage cans out for 2 days after trash pickup and a $50 fine for having a satellite dish installed without my HOA permit. We'll see if there's a note on my door when I get home from work today. :D
  11. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

That is not uncommon in communities run by an association...Where I live decorations can be put up two weeks before and must be taken down two weeks after which is fine by me...Everyone receives a copy of the community bylaws which they must sign before they move in...It is part of the closing package...Garbage and recycling goes out the morning it is picked up (tuesday & thursday) which I agree with 100%...Most people tend to follow the rules as they prefer association living which is not for everyone...
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah there's good an bad to the association.

Rules are good for keeping things nice and PV up
    you always seem to have one ah in an association
    that thinks the rules don't apply and has big issues
    with the controls, but when you buy in a development
    with an HOA you know about it up front, you are given the
    rules at closing.

If you don't like that stuff, buy a lot in the woods
    do whatever the heck you want, but when you buy
    in a HOA subdivision you have to play by the rules
    you agreed to play by when you bought.

It's amazing to me the number of people that
    can't comprehend this simple concept.

Why would anyone that hates rules buy
    in a place with rules to abide by... Really..

I'd imagine you have no restrictions on lights
    as it's a religious holiday, maybe a limit on volume
    so you don't have some crazy guy putting up 100,000 lights and
    starting a parade route out of your subdivision LOL
  13. FLHTbiker

I live where they can't tell me what I can and can't do, I like living up in the woods. We got so many trees we have to have two satellite Dish's just to get a signal. I wouldn't live where I was told what to do. I suppose those HOA's have odd and even days when you can take a crap to. :witsend:

I would put up as many lights as I could in those HOA,s just to piiss em off. :D but I know you got to live by the rules and play their game otherwise every condo would be plastered with crap all over em.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

See you're dat guy... LOL
  15. popeye

popeye Active Member

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. I've got everything but my Business note paid off and it should be easily paid off w/in 3 years, and that is if the economy stays the same. After that we'll be able to pay off a house in a manner of months.
    I may consider a condo or duplex after it's all said and done, and build me a "Toy Box" on the lot I have next to my business. I'm sick and tired of mowing and just want to enjoy life.

The neighborhood I just left was so stinkin' uppity I only knew two neighbors. I know a lot of people who have less money and more class than most of the individuals I met at the HOA meetings. It was gated and the HOA wouldn't leave the gates open later than 7 PM so the neighbors were the only ones who got to see them. I only put out the lights because my daughter said it wasn't Christmas w/o them.

My apologies for the derail OP.
  16. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Here in Hobgood, we don't have any limits to what we want to do for decorations. No stinkin' home owners association. Mac the Wife bought one of those trees that already has the lights on it (fake tree made in the Peoples Republic of China). Thought I'd NEVER see the day. I used to go out in the woods around here and just chop down a tree every Christmas. Pine trees EVERYWHERE! We don't decorate the outside of the house except for a wreath on the front door - too much work LOL.

BTW, our mortgage payments are $200 a month . . . so waddaya you guys waitin' for? Move to (rural) North Carolina! :D
  17. popeye

popeye Active Member

He!! my taxes and insurance were over $300 a month.
  18. FLHTbiker

Our house payment with property taxes and insurance plus mortgage payment is just over 900 only cause we did a refi a few years ago and did a 15 year payoff which makes your payments higher. But still not bad for 2200 square feet and separate large shop on one acre.
  19. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Don't know how anyone can say they are debt free if they are still making payments for housing whether it's rent or mortgage. Only if the house is paid for, then you are debt free. Unless you're living in a van down by the river.
  20. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Youse guys dont know whatcha missing. Come to Lhun Gisland. Property taxes over a grand a month! Minimum electric bill $150+ a month (without Christmas lights, no electric heat or a pool). Regular gasoline now at $3.95 gal. Fuel oil for heat and hot water $4.27 gal. And my wife won't move yet! :witsend: :gah: :banghead: :rant: