1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Chrome or powder coat luggage rack?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by The Tourist, Nov 4, 2010.

1. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned A-Hole

I put a chrome luggage rack on my Sportster for deliveries and cheap transportation. It worked quite well, and after a removing it a few times, the fittings even operate easier.

I'm thinking about buying a second rack, but not for hauling that much, but to protect the rear fender.

I've known a lot of idiots in my day. Guys who lean on your headlamp to stop and chat, morons who think nothing of touching your motor, and drunken babes who just jump on your rear fender--whether there's a seat there or not. And that doesn't count stuff falling on your bike in storage.

As odd as it might sound, a detachable rack is good for removing the entire unit from your bike--tour pack or soft-side rolls included. Strapping and re-strapping your gear once properly adjusted is one serious pain, and the whole idea was to make life easier.

My parts guy says that chrome and/or powdered coated racks are identical in price. However, in buying something to head-off abuse, which to you think is more durable?

And if it works like I envision, it could even be a second method to haul stuff.

My heart is saying chrome, but that's just because I like the look. But the main issue here is durability, and I haven't purchased any powder coated items to know the real deal.

Below is the rack I now have.

[​IMG]
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well you have a chrome one, so why not black

Powdercoat holds up pretty well to use....
  3. The Tourist

That was my first thought. The wild card in this decision is the "wear factor." If I buy the black one for ego reasons--and it fails--my only hope for repair is MoCo's warranty policy. Granted, I know the guys at my dealership, but the entire purpose of the project is to head off abuse and damage to the bike.

In that same argument, I've even considered skid bars for the Sportster. In the final analysis this bike gets used for work. Its primary function is not a bike for joy riding. If the bike is damaged, it might be over major repairs.

I've even asked the parts guys directly if powder coat is better than chrome. It would appear to be a simple yes-or-no question. All I'm getting is opinions.
  4. hotroadking

Your frame is powdercoated, so something could
    scratch it,but from simple use over time, both will wear...

Thing about powder coat, you can take it off and
    find a local powder coat shop to have it redone
    or, there are DIY powdercoat kits from Eastwood
    and you can do it at home yourself.
  5. The Tourist

That's the type of info I needed!

The reason this whole issue came up is that it pertains to a 48. The major chrome parts are the pipes and the mufflers. It would seem logical to use black parts.

When I bought the chrome rack it was simply because I like chrome. Betty is tricked out in chrome. I'm not sure that applies here.

I did not know that there was a DIY repair kit. How do you bake it?
  6. hotroadking

When your wife is out of the house for several hours
    you want to use "her oven" LOL :p

Eastwood Hot Coat Home Kit
  7. The Tourist

I checked out your link, and the reduced price is 109 dollars. Funny, with my HD discount I get a new chrome rack for the exact same price!
  8. hotroadking

Not bad, but you could powder coat a lot more than the rack LOL
  9. The Tourist

Yeah, I know, but I spin fewer wrenches every year.

When I was young I worked at a local dealership. And after I got done wrenchin' on the customers' filthy bikes I then went home and knelt down on a frozen concrete floor in February working on my own.

Livin' the dream...

Then the computer age came to Harley. I blew out a tiny little metal cube under the seat of my Sportster (it was about the size of those old magic flash cubes) and the entire bike shut down. The bike went down to the shop on a trailor. I realized my stint was over.

Now my wrench writes code into a super tuner. I took the guys a cheese and sausage platter this last spring and a cake a few weeks ago.

I spent far less than the relative hassle would have cost me personally!:D
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

do not use the family oven for powdercoating. get a used one. i do powdercoating and can speak from experience.......the first time you powder coat.....the oven is junk!!!! lol lol
    the diy kits are great for the home owner.....work well with great results.....tons of colors also!
  11. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

I like the color of chrome.
  12. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

My bike came with so much chrome on it, that I wanted to tone it down a bit. So I bought some black saddlebag guards and a few other pieces in black. Then I added a black 2 into 1 exhaust system and think it looks great. Pipes are black ceramic, but the other stuff is black powdercoat and it is just as durable as chrome.

Check it out in the Photo Gallery.
  13. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I like chrome 'cuz when I'm drinkin':drunk: and starin' at my bike (don't drink & ride) and drinkin':drunk: and starin', I can see when folks (wife?) are sneekin' up behind me.........:roflmao:

:cheers:
  14. The Tourist

Ahhh...rookies...

Back in the day when men were men and sheep backed out of a room I also "dated" several women at once. This was also the era when shooting a biker was a misdemeanor offense listed under 'public littering.'

I just made sure that each one of these women got a bottle of perfume for the holidays. All in different scents.

Drunk or sober, reflection or not, day or night, you could tell which one was about to kill you from behind just by the distinct aroma.
  15. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Hard for me to smell 'em when I'm smokin' cigars......just sayin.......
  16. The Tourist

Let me get you a Thompson Cigar catalog. That way your wife and you can smoke different brands and you'll recognize her...:D
  17. The Tourist

Well, the decision was made for me this morning. I'm going with chrome. Here's the logic.

The bike is going to the dealer this morning for storage. The roll had to come off.

This roll for the Sportster is made from a hard plastic shell covered with ballisitic nylon. (BTW, undoing all of the velcro mounting straps is a real pain, and the clearance to the fender is minimal. I covered the fender in micro-fiber cloths just in case.)

But when I had finally got the roll off (the rack is staying on for storage for protection), I noticed "dirty rub marks" on the rack. Granted they polished out, but they would have either worn through or marred a powder coat finish.

And to add, the idea that these racks are "detachable" is almost a misnomer--it's easier to unstrap the roll. The first time the rack is attached the operation is a lesson in frustration. You have to bend, press and torque the rack into place--being careful not to slip. I finally put a few drops of Tuff-Glide on the components to get them to ease together.

It gets easier, but it's never easy.

Is a hundred bucks worth convenience and frustration? I don't really know. But I do know I just spent time in a freezing garage struggling with velcro straps on something that should have been a no-brainer.
  18. alex the dog

Tourist, I don't know what kind of rack and bag you're using, but there are much better accessories available. I had a Dyna LowRider with (O.E. HD) detachable backrest and rack that snapped on and off in about 3 seconds. It was black powdercoat, and after traveling cross country on two trips with a large T-Bag that slipped over the back rest (that was the only attachment needed), it never left a mark and took 2 seconds to remove it.

The thing is, chrome can rust, especially if lightly scratched. Black powdercoat will never rust even if scratched.
  19. The Tourist

The rack is just Harley's detachable Sportster rack, right off of the shelf. (See top photo.) To be honest, I just bought it because it was there, I needed something and I don't usually carry anything--and never have. I had little experience here.

Again, this is my summer work vehicle. I carry crap with me for the gym or for the job. I get to park the F-150 and I can deduct work related expenses. At the time, this was a good idea, and it still is--overall.

The problem for me was always "ease" of operation. While the bike saved money on traveling expenses, it was a hassle to clean the bike and re-mount the rack and roll. Nothing is perfect, and at least I learned what I needed as opposed to wanted.

Some form of roll with the same dimensions is required to carry the sharpening fixture and gym crap. The velco straps seem to be the culprit here both for detachment problems and marring the rack. I need to find some form of hard-side roll that pops on and off the rack.

To be fair, I think the rack detachment issue is improving as the fittings wear in. The first time I had to rotate the release mounts I had to wear gloves to press hard enough. I hear the same complaints from other users.
  20. alex the dog

From the picture, I see the problem. That is the smallest rack I've ever seen, and doesn't include a backrest. Of course, the solo saddle doesn't give an opportunity for a backrest anyway.

I thought the large rack and backrest for a Dyna (with 2-up seat) was interchangeable with a Sportster. I may be wrong, but the P&A catalogue shows the same pieces for both bikes and the cost is a bit over $200.