1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cleaning help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

This seems stupid to put in the tech section, but I don't know what else to do with it.

I went for a ride on 4th of July over Trail Ridge. Where it was doesn't matter as much as the 20 miles of dirt and gravel road on the back side. Well, that wouldn't have mattered if it hadn't start hailing. Needless to say, the bike was a muddy mess. It's been dirty before. I didn't think too much about it until I got back into town and went to the car wash. The stuff on my rocker boxes and the fins on the front of the motor and around the oil filter and the front of my exhaust was not coming off.

I got it home and waited for it to cool and started in with the S100, being careful to get it off before it dried. I managed to get stuff off of any chrome, but no luck on the porous parts of the motor. It looked like tar baked on the motor. I hit it with some bug and tar remover and some brushes this afternoon and got a good bit off of the primary. Then I went to Bike Night.

While there I was showing a friend how I had this crap gunked on my motor and realized my oil cooler lines are leaking - again. So I guess what happened is that the oil mixed in with the mud and then baked on the motor. It's like tar. It's awful.

Any suggestions? I'm not big into cleaning my bike. I like riding it more. This is driving me crazy. I know; short ride.
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

you might try some cleaning fluids like acetone to losen up the oil and grime......and you might try to buff the area that might take it off too...just trying to come up with some idea's for you...and it is a short drive for me tooo...Good Luck ...Al
  3. whacker

whacker Active Member

I bought some engine cleaner before..the stuff that won't harm paint...might try that....would of thought about that earlier...but it's early in the morning...lol
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep just be sure to read the lable on what it might & might not eat away at paint & chrome can be eaten at & when useing a brush always where safty glasses , I have used mean green before & it has help alot
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

"brake clean" works pretty good also. it is in an arosoul can, spray it on and it will dry quickly. use it liberally......get about 3 cans of the stuff....auto supply. i will use the engine cleaner also. i spray the brake clean, get the junk to moving, then hit it with the engine cleaner....then use a strong stream from a hose to get all that off, then wash as usual.......let us know!
  6. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I was wondering, and maybe chuck or some of the others will know better.....what about getting the engine hot, then hitting it with easy off oven cleaner?? works to clean ovens...and most the time that stuff is baked on grease and spillage...... just a thought, but I don't know.....see if someone else chimes in on the effectiveness of this idea.....
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You have to be careful with caustic materials in the cleaners they can fubar paint, chrome and the black on the motor can turn whiteish if you do it wrong.

There is a product called Simple Green, it's biodegradable so nobody in CO will yell at you.

I would let the motor get cold, then get one of the spray bottles from a $1 store, pour in the simple green at full strength and liberally spray the bike.

You'll find a round blue and black brush at most motorcycle stores with handle, it's soft enough to use anywhere great for wheels, and fits between the rockers and frame etc and should work well.

Let it soak then scrub and hit with hot water and repeat.

Worst case might be an engine cleaner just be careful on what you get that stuff on...
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks!

Anything I use that might harm anything I'll probably spray on the brush and apply that way. I like the oven cleaner idea. I have a Standard, so my motor doesn't have any black on it.

I have to leave for the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I had some heavy tar build up and a large area where some old rain gear melted on the exhaust pipe. The melted plastic was baked on real hard so I used regular oven cleaner on it and let it sit for several hours. I used the kind that you spray on with the motor cold. After several hours or let it sit over night I sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and it all came off. To finish it off I used some Simple Green and then after it was all off I finished up with a product called Showtime and it polished up like new.
    On painted surfaced I wouldn't use any brake type or other type products that would take the paint off but for motor parts this worked real well.
    Hope this helps also don't use any steel wool as it will scratch.
  10. hotroadking

Be even more careful with a standard, some of that stuff can discolor the grey,

There was a royal purple cleaner that if you put it on mid 80's C4 corvette silver magnesium valve colors would turn them purple...

So be extra careful with cleaners like oven cleaner, that stuff will take paint off, it might even take the coating off the engine, test it on someones engine first LOL

A good stiff brush and some cleaner,

Yeah I'd rather ride, but It's nice to have that crap off and you really don't want to bake it in any more than you have.

You know what else might work..... brake cleaner, that stuff will clean up most anything.

Make sure it's cold, I've gotten it all over engines black and silver, just thinking you need something to break down the oil..... Heck good old dishwashing liquid breaks down oil. Might be worth trying....
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Oven cleaner works great on exhaust pipes. Brake cleaner will definitely take the paint off. Any cleaner degreaser on painted surface's can be bad so be careful. Keep using the Tar and bug remover and it may eventually get it all off.
  12. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

not only will it take the paint off it will destroy electrical components, sealants etc.
  13. quietone

quietone Active Member

oo or ooo steel wool and elbow grease works great for chrome, you won't even need polish when your done
  14. hotroadking

doesn't work for me, I have dry elbows,