1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clear bra attempt

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Hot01, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I realize this isn't as comprehensive as all the rest of the projects here, but it seemed like it should go here. And you do know I'm talking about the paint protection film, right?

My old saddlebags were scuffed from the bag I pack my tent and sleeping bag in. I place it across the fender behind the seat and across the tops of the saddlebags. Now that I have this super-expensive fancy paint job, I really don't want it to get messed up so soon. I'll probably do the rear fender too, since I'm not putting the luggage rack back on. The only thing I use it for is a place to anchor my bungee cords. I'm going to use bungee nuts on the taillight bracket for that.

I ordered the film in bulk. Sounds like it's pretty easy to put on. Anyone tried it yet?
  2. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I was afraid that was the case actually :roflmao:

I have seen this trick or one like it on other things, now I got to ask. Will this give the "frosted" look that the other methods give, or will it be actually clear and not noticable?
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Abby Chuck sent me his left-overs on this stuff It's going my rear fender just below the Tail light , to keep my tool bag from rubbing the paint off , I don't know what Chuck used it for , But by your heading I'am sure he'll chime in , , it should go on real easy just keep it flat & straght ,& no air bubbles
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I have used a hair dryer style heat gun to help shrink it to the contures and uesed soapy water ro a continuse stream of water and dust free as you can get enviroment, and out of the sun
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

sounds almost like tinting your windows on the cage, I might need to try that stuff on my gas tank, the zipper on my jacket seems to scratch it up, and I don't like the little tank bra, guess I could just tape it off and keep up the rattle can paint job:roflmao:
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

dog gone it!!!!!!!:banghead: what a let down!!!!!!!!! thought it was a new fandangled fashion statement!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao:

first, make sure your paint is cured!!!! ask the painter for the cure time, some take a month or so.......
    make sure there is no dirt, wax, grease on the area to be treated.
    do this in the shade, not in the sun or heat....
    make sure the area to be treated is cool.....
    if you can, go to a sign shop and purchase one of there squeegies...better than the auto parts ones, and they also have a solution for postioning there applikays....(sp)....it works so much better than soapy water....
    if you cant get the solution from them, then use soapy water, use dawn dishwashing liquid, it seems to work the best. put it in a spray bottle. i use about a shot glass of soap to a quart of water.......
    have a clean work area to lay the material on.....
    prefit and cut the material.........
    peel the backing off the material, and liberaly spray with the soap...
    spray the area to be applied with the soap....
    place the material where it should go, using the squeegiee to remove all the bubbles..
    if you get a bubble you cant remove, use a straight pin and gently poke a hole in it then squeegee it out. the reason you get a bubble you cant remove is because that area wasnt wet enough to slide the bubble to the edge....
    when you have it as you want, STOP....dont over work it. the more ya mess with it the more chance you have of doing it over again!!!;)
    let it dry and you should be good to go...................:)
    any questions, just ask!!!!
  7. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Again, Will this give the "frosted" look that the other methods give, or will it be actually clear and not noticable?
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

It's supposed to be unnoticeable. I think I ordered mine from Clear Defender or something like that. I Googled "Clear Bra", and once I got through all the Victoria's Secret ads, it was there. :roflmao:
  9. chucktx

it will depend on the type of "clear" you get. there are several types. you need one that is "crystal clear"........i believe they are also available in different tints..............:)
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

yea its kind like tinting but like chuck said if your paint isn't cured and you oops then you run the risk of peeling your paint off and having it come off later (with your paint) because it wasn't cured and that applikator solution gonna have to try it
  11. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Thanks Hot01 and Chuck. If it does come out "crystal clear" I think it just might be an answer for a little tank issue of mine. Thanks again folks.
  12. gtnot

gtnot New Member

I've seen this done on the front end of a Viper, it was so clear you had to look very closely to see the liner. It should work great on a bike.
  13. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I got the stuff today, but one guy said I should wait a month before I put it on. Does that sound right? That's about the time I'll be heading to Arizona, so that's fine with me.
  14. chucktx

waiting a month is good.......but 90 days would be better.......jmo!.........:)
  15. chucktx

any updates???:)
  16. cowboy

She's to busy running the tires off of Hot 01 to worry about it :D
  17. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

:roflmao: Damn straight! Over a thousand miles in less than a week. Rain, shine, night, day, I don't care. My car hasn't left the garage since I drove home from work last Friday.

After the wait time, I'm going to have to get it buffed out before I put the stuff on. It's already got the fine scratches in the clear coat that dark colors show up so nicely. :gah:

The limo driver that picked me up also runs the detail shop at Thunder Mountain. He had cleaned up my bike way back when I had all that motor work done, and he was the one that pulled it off the truck after I got hit. He told me to bring it up before I was going to put the clear bra on and he'd take care of it for me. :cool:
  18. cowboy

I guess you did miss riding can't blame you at all for just getting out there & getting in the wind/rain :D
  19. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Speaking of bras

The other day I noticed that something has hit the front of fat bob and chipped the paint. I thought it would make sense to get a tank bra to protect it from road debris but all I can find are bras for the tail end of the tank. If they make bras to protect the hood of cars surely somebody makes one to protect the front of a Harley tank. Can anyone point me in the direction of one of these varmints?
  20. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I think you should do the clear bra. Google it, weed through the Victoria's Secret ads, and you should find a few places that sell the stuff by the foot. One place had pre-cut pieces for Harleys, although I don't know who it was.