1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch cable lubrication question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jturuk, Feb 15, 2010.

1. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Hi all

2008 FLHRC. I want to lubricate the clutch cable and want to loosen the cable adjuster off enough so that any crud or excess lube will drain out at that point.

In the manual under "clutch adjustment" part of the process is pulling the clutch inspection cover off and making clutch adjustments to the "clutch adjuster screw" inside the primary chaincase.

My question is do I have to go to through all the steps mentioned in this procedure or can I just loosen off the cable adjuster lube the cable and then tighten it back up until I get the proper clutch handle clearance?

Thanks

John
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if your clutch is working properly, and in good adjustment, you should be able to just loosen and do as you describe. if not, at least ya got the book!!!!!!!! lol lol
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

If you look in the book, the cable runs all way to the right hand side of the tranny. That would mean you would have to take the cover off and disassemble the easy pull.
    To take the cable out that far to the end would be a bigger job than most people do to lubricate it. Probaly even the dealership.
    And I don't see what you are really gonna gain by going that far.
    Some of the cables If I remember right are teflon coated on the 07 and newer.
    I use Tri Flow Spray to lubricate mine.
    I would back off the cable adjustments and take the pin out that goes threw the clutch lever and lubricate the cable from the top.
    Don't worry about it runnin out the bottom of the cable.
  4. chucktx

he dont want to remove it, just lube it..............the inspection cover is the DERBY COVER....
  5. cardboard

Haven't seen anybody pull it down to the derby cover off and pull it to let the lubricant run out the bottom side of cable just to lubricate the clutch cable..

Seems like over kill a little.
  6. chucktx

he is not pulling the cover to lube, the manual states to remove the cover to adj. the clutch.......go find your glasses........
  7. cardboard

Sorry !

you've taken me from the right hand side of the tranny to the derby cover on the primary. I'm confused.

I swore he said he wanted to lubricate the clutch cable so the crud can run out the bottom.
    I guess i can't understand what I read.:D
  8. jturuk

jturuk New Member

Thanks for the replies

This proceedure that I saw went like this:

the guy removed the clutch cable from the clutch handle and then took a small ziplok bag cut a small hole in the corner of it and then slipped the end of the clutch cable through the hole in the bag and sealed the bag hole around the cable with a twist tie or something and then filled the bag with lubricant, squeezed the bag which pushed the lube down into the cable. the reason he loosened the adjuster way off was so that any crap that might be flushed out of the cable wouldn't make it down into the clutch.

procedure looked like it would work quite well and I was going to try it but thats when I noticed that if I loosened off the cable adjuster I might have to remove the clutch inspection cover and make adjustments there. (Page 1-23 in the manual is where I was looking)

John
  9. cardboard

Page 2-75 is where the clutch cable comes out.
  10. chucktx

that is the correct way for lubing all your cables.....dont squeeze if you dont have to.....let gravity do its job........do the throttle cables the same way.
  11. jturuk

jturuk New Member

I wonder if we aren't talking about different adjusters. the one I'm talking about is the one located between the forks. It looks like my bike has a two piece cable no? It looked to me that by loosening that adjuster way off you could basically separate the two cables and the crap wouldn't make it into lower cable length or maybe I'm not seeing this right. Wouldn't be the first time:D
  12. cardboard

The adjuster on the cable where you are talkin about is where you can totally Back the cable length off so you can take the pin out of the clutch lever. And lub the cable that runs all the way to the bottom.
    But remember you should have a teflon coated cable too.
    And if trash made it 1/2 way down to the cable what about the rest of the cable, don't think it would of made it farther down.

Never tried to seperate it there. Not sure the cable will let you.
  13. chucktx

it is a single cable.....the adjustment point is between the downtubes.....unless ya riding on the handle bars........not preferred!........there shouldnt be much dirt in their anyway..moisture/ rust is what usually happens to cables
  14. cardboard

What page is that on Chucktx.:D
  15. chucktx

it is in the book of oldschool.............all us old timers got one!!!!:)
  16. jturuk

jturuk New Member

The way you guys are talking it looks like loosening off the adjuster for drainage is overkill. I think I'll just give the cable a wee sip and call her good.

Thanks again for the advice

John
  17. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Harley also sells a clutch lube. Its a small plastic filled tube with a long needle so that you can insert the needle down into the cable. Squeeze out some lube and let gravity take over. You can also loosen the adjuster between the down tubes and insert the needle in there and lube the lower part. You don't need a lot.
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

HarleyHogs Clutch Cable Oiling

Then reattach the cable at the lever and adjust the slack out of the cable and you're good to go...about a 3 beer job
  19. chucktx

good find lucifer!!
  20. cardboard

Wow !
    Never seen anybody use a bag like that to lub a cable.
    I would make a mess with it.

With the newer cables being Teflon coated and they slide easier I can't see going threw all that to lub a cable.

It don't take that much lub to lub a cable.
    And the lever area needs to be lubed too.