1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch Noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Apr 22, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've started having a strange noise happening while in first gear in traffic and I pull in the clutch then let it out. It makes a clang type of sound when I pull in the clutch or let it out but only in first gear. Anyone have any idea, I adjusted the clutch but its still the same.
  2. whacker

whacker Active Member

Sounds like something wrong with first gear....JMO...I would pull the tranny and have it checked out,before something major happens...Good Luckl
  3. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Did you check the primary chain tension. It could be the chain slapping the primary. Just a thought, but I like to try the simple things first.
  4. FLHTbiker

After my home inspection this morning I took the bike back to the dealer sense its under warranty still. They had their top ace :rolleyes: mechanic test ride it and he said that its normal for the 08 and 09 bikes due to the new isolation system that HD is now using. Well, I'm going to check the tensioner, rear belt myself and see what I find. Will let you know but sounds fishy to me that its normal.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

08's have auto primary adjusters
    you have the isolator in the rear pulley

I'd have them check the belt for proper tension
    and the pulley bolts for tightness.

Shouldn't clang my 09 doesn't.
  6. FLHTbiker

I know of plenty of other riders that own 09 Ultras and none of them said they have the same noise. I'll check those items hotroadking, thanks.
  7. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have a '08 Ultra and with 11,000 miles I do not have any noise like that.
  8. FLHTbiker

Well I took care of it tonight. I originally had them do the clutch adjustment after my first 1000 miles and when I had the exhaust fume issues.

Well tonight I put the bike on the lift and adjusted the clutch again. Shoot I pulled the cover off and the nut was loose. :witsend: I adjusted the whole clutch and put the cover on. I also checked the belt and it was needing adjusting also, bit to much slack. I do like the new way that you adjust the belt now instead of the two separate adjusting points. The bike has a cam type adjustment on it and after taking the 30mm socket and loosing the right side it was a piece of cake adjusting the cam on the left side. Put the mufflers back on cleaned all the accumulated dirt put the bags on and took it for a test ride. The noise is gone, so much for that's the way all the new 08 and 09 bikes are crap. What a bunch of bull and yep that service manager is going to get an ear full tomorrow and I'll never again have them service my bike, I'll do it myself. Got to get the new 09 service manual (they didn't have any in stock yet) and I'm still using the old manual from my 03 Ultra.
    Go figure :gah:
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to here you found that loose nut inside & not on the seat:roflmao: no realy its agood thing you did double check it & found the loose nut or you could have some trouble
  10. FLHTbiker

Yea sometimes the nut on the seat can be a bad thing to. :D
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

a very good companion to the service manual is the parts manual. it will show exploded views of all the parts.....kinda helps when putting things back together.
  12. whacker

whacker Active Member

Glad you got your issue fixed...Enjoy your ride...Al
  13. FLHTbiker

Last evening when I test rode it, it was a joy to ride it without all that noise. Only thing I can figure out is the mechanic must not have tightened the nut down after screwing in the adjuster and it must have backed out.

The parts book would be a good thing Chuck.

I'm going to pull the cover on my 01 Springer and check the cam tensioner. If there worn down I thinking of doing my own work replacing them. Never done that but with the right tools after reading the service manual doesn't sound real hard.
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it is not hard, and if ya get stuck.........we are here for ya!!!!!!!
  15. FLHTbiker

Thanks Chuck I probably will take you up on that. I stopped at another HD shop in Vancouver WA today on the way up to visit my daughter and grandkids. They have a full wall of tool for HD bikes and I picked up the 36MM wrench for the rear axle (would have been handy yesterday when I loosened up the axle to adjust the belt) and picked up the tool for removing the Cam Bearing tensioner plus they had the 09 service manual for the Ultra in stock. The biggest dealer in the NW, Latus motors didn't have the service manual and they don't have any tools for sale. Guess they want you to come only to them for service, like the way they adjusted my clutch. :( Oh well I like doing my own work if I can.
  16. FLHTbiker

I talked with the service writer today, the service manager was not available and the service writer got huffy with me cause I didn't bring it back to them to fix it. I looked at her and said you had the first shot so I took care of it. She walked off muttering something, who cares I won't be back.