1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, May 16, 2010.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Was on a chapter ride today and we made it up as far as government camp on MT Hood. The wifes bike was having a few problems. First she never told me that the left hand controls housing screws and clamps all came loose and her mirror was about ready to fall off, missing two screws in the housing. Got it working well enough to use, took a screw out of mine and put it in hers. Then I noticed that the clutch was really hard and had to get it into neutral for her so she could put it into reverse. So we turned around and headed back home.

Just before getting home the clutch would not work at all, real tight and she had to go the rest of the way without stopping. She killed the motor in gear and came to a stop in front of the shop.
    I couldn't get the clutch lever to pull in at all. Pulled the clutch adjustment housing off, everthing OK there.
    To get the cover off the right side where the clutch cable is I had to pull the exhaust, fun just what I wanted to do today.
    Inside the housing where the clutch cable is attached as many of you know there is a pivot point. Under the C-clip is 3 balls. One of those balls had come out and had wedged itself keeping the cable to work freely. Man, I have never seen that one before. Anyone else ever experience that where a ball managed to come out. Anyway, its back to working again, what a job and need to get me a ride up lift so I didn't have to lay on the concrete. :(
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Don't think I'e ever had my balls fall out :roflmao:
    It sound's like someone took it apart once & when they put it back together it was not quite right & the ball worked it self out over time :eek:
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the balls can come out if the cable gets too loose....maybe when the left controls were loose???
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking that to. Pain in the arss pulling that exhaust loose to pull that side cover. The new bikes with the redesign of the exhaust routing makes it much easier.