1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 1988flhtc in nfld, May 23, 2009.

1. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

since ive owned this bike, bike doesnt start to move till the clutch handle is almost all out , kinda dumps in. took some advice reolaced steels and plates,and the push out bearing. after releasing adj. on clutch ,under derby cover i loosen nut back off allen screw to 3/4 out as per spec. in the book, the clutch is the same, tried it at 1/2 and1/4 turns, the same .the handle gets adj. to 1/8 to 3/16 slack on the cable.should be great. so this is leads me to believe theres another problem.
    what about the 4 bolts for spring tension . could someone had it set for hole shots mabye check it out? i know there are 3 settings , which one should the bolts be in . i know guys do this to their sleds for hole shots. any ideas

thanks rob.
  2. 08XModel

08XModel New Member

Don't know if this will help. It could be your cable is stretched out and won't adjust correctly. I have driven truck and other bikes that had a ton of clutch travel before they engaged and that wasn't much fun to drive. Hope this helps.
  3. 1988flhtc in nfld

1988flhtc in nfld New Member

actually i was out this morn andhad a look it was on the thinnest setting on the spring backing plate, and its better,smoother changing gears and more clutch play, mabye i should try the thickest one .cant hurt to try.

thanks rob.