1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch Removal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 2, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yep, this year has been a funny year. Not a lot of ambition to go out on long trips or to really upgrade anything on the bikes. So far it has been a year of new schedules and chasing issues with my Sportster. Kind of depressing actually.

Since it is the holiday and I don't have any trips planned, this weekend will be spent taking the clutch out of the Sporty. I must say that I am expecting the worse on this one. I think she is pissed at me . Lol. Anyways, I bought what needed to take it apart and now it's time to do it. Finally, maybe I can get some fun riding in. :)
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

You never know what you'll find - maybe it won't be as bad as you're thinking. At least you don't have to worry about a hurricane coming your way. We will get wind and rain, just don't know how much.
  3. JohnnyBiker

In most cases I would be more optimistic but my Sportster is piiisssed! Preparing for the worse isn't so bad. That way I could be pleased if I should discover that it wasn't so bad. :)
  4. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Good enough. BTW, the hurricane went by with no effect on us here in Hobgood - just some rain and wind. The past few days when I'd go to start my bike, it would jump into low gear. I held on and it stalled out. Changed the tranny oil to 75/90 synthetic and guess what - problem solved. I'm glad it wasn't the the shift forks.
  5. JohnnyBiker

Started taking my clutch apart. As of now I am letting the primary drain well so I don't have a huge mess. Looking at the drain plug, it had metal on it but not as bad as what I was expecting.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Well, as usual there are tools that I need that I don't have so I am at a small stand still. Which would you use on the comp nut? A 1/2" drive or a 3/8" drive impact?
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

8. JohnnyBiker

I do not have the patience for that. Have a locking tool on the way.
  9. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Don't use an impact wrench. Many stators have been ruined using one. You can actually shake the magnets loose. Best is a half in.dr. breaker bar and a chunck of hardwood to wedge the sprockets from turning,
  10. charlie46

No patience?? OH NO !!
  11. FLHTbiker

There goes the stator. The video shows using a breaker bar which is a good idea.
  12. JohnnyBiker

Will this suffice? uploadfromtaptalk1404756843572.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1404756860039.jpg
  13. JohnnyBiker

Well, I kind of tried the block of wood method but just didn't like it. I will wait for the locking tool to arrive. Oh, I'm not going to use the impact. :)
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Taking off with impact is ok.

Go to Home Depot get a metal conduit bar 3 ft long. Slip it over wrench to get leverage. Cheap beaker bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. JohnnyBiker

I have the breaker bar. Need the locking tool and right sockets.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I spent $14 on sockets and can't use one of them as it is too short to fit over the crank so I used my dads deep well socket and a breaking bar and I was able to get the comp nut off. What is scary is that it took almost no effort to get it loose too. Now my next issue, which is a tool issue, can I use a standard gear puller to loosen the sprocket or should I use the tool that HD suggests to us which is HD-97292-61?

Thanks
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

18. charlie46

I'd try warming it up a little with a bernz o matic, Should slide right off,
  19. FLHTbiker

Might anyway without the heat.
  20. JohnnyBiker

No, this sprocket does not want to slide off on its own. The sm says that if it does not, then basically use a gear puller. So I bought one. The problem now is that the puller isn't able to get behind the sprocket and against the rotor, it is only able to get behind the teeth of the sprocket so when I break the sprocket loose the rotor comes with it. The sm says nothing about this.