1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Clutch Slipping?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 21, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

today I took the Suzuki out with Chevelle on the back. I went to go and goose it a little at 60 mph and it just started to wind out then it caught. Do yu think that the clutch is starting to slip or is there a different issue that is developing? I t does happen when I am in 4th gear as well and ONLY if I am on a hard roll.

How possible is it that the shaft drive is slipping?

1998 Suzuki Intruder 800

Thanks.
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

My vote is for the slipping clutch. Torque and hp higher at those rpms.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  3. JohnnyBiker

I am in this camp as well. :D
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

The drive shafts are usually splines at the rear and CB jointed at the granny. No chance of slipping.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  5. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

back off the adjustment at the clutch lever a half turn . might be a tad too tight causeing it to slip and lube the cable while your at it . simple on a metric bike thumbwheel right there
  6. JohnnyBiker

Not sure if it is too tight dude. Actually, if anything, I think that the cable is loose as when I was getting to warm up the bike, I thought that the cable was sticking. I would squeeze it and it would not return freely. Lube is a good idea. I do think however that it is a little more serious than just a cable adjustment. No thumb wheel and no SM for this bike.
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Either way, get it adjusted according to the service manual - if still slipping, then you have other issues.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Thanks gentleman for the thoughts on this. It turned out to be that the pivot bolt that holds the lever on was really tight for some reason. Also, since the clutch is hydraulic, the fluid was like sludge. We got that all changed and she is as good as new and works great!!!